GK3’s IM AIO 30 - Tank+Apex+100%DIY

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated concept.

Open and closed. Closed the radions are at the recommended 7" above tank. The dimension of the back is 5" above the glass. I assume this will be enough for any equipment I put in the filter area. If anyone knows of a filter piece that sticks up more than 5", please let me know.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Thanks ReeferReefer for the idea on lower profile.

closed.JPG
open.JPG
Looks awesome. I think it's a great design.

I wonder if including a small door on the sides to change filter floss and empty skimmer cup could be nice too.

How easy will it be to get it "open"?

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks awesome. I think it's a great design.

I wonder if including a small door on the sides to change filter floss and empty skimmer cup could be nice too.

How easy will it be to get it "open"?

Push a button open, push a button close. Don’t want to do a door as I want it all actuated.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Push a button open, push a button close. Don’t want to do a door as I want it all actuated.
I'll be interested to see the mechanism you use. The design is looking great.

As long as it's easy [emoji106]

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my tank cycle is still going. I started it out at toxic and have been watching it drop. It seems like it stalled out on alert....or am I just being inpatient?

Haven’t cycled a tank in a long time, not sure if somethings up or if i just need to hang on for a bit.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank cycle is still going. I started it out at toxic and have been watching it drop. It seems like it stalled out on alert....or am I just being inpatient?

Haven’t cycled a tank in a long time, not sure if somethings up or if i just need to hang on for a bit.
I read back in your post and saw that you did pure ammonia with bacteria to start. If the bacteria are doing their job they should knock the ammonia down eventually. Maybe it needs more time. I think (though not sure exactly what kind of bacteria you started with) if you're impatient you could jump start it by adding some more bacteria.

Also I'm not sure how accurate those indicators are. It might be worth while to pick up an ammonia test kit and see where it says you are. Maybe your indicator got "stuck" or is giving a false reading.

Or maybe it just needs more time [emoji28]

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I read back in your post and saw that you did pure ammonia with bacteria to start. If the bacteria are doing their job they should knock the ammonia down eventually. Maybe it needs more time. I think (though not sure exactly what kind of bacteria you started with) if you're impatient you could jump start it by adding some more bacteria.

Also I'm not sure how accurate those indicators are. It might be worth while to pick up an ammonia test kit and see where it says you are. Maybe your indicator got "stuck" or is giving a false reading.

Or maybe it just needs more time [emoji28]

Thanks for the input. I think I’ll let it keep going, but have my LFS check the ammonia this week.

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @smilinteddy. you should also get a basic test kit. I have the API freshwater and it works fine. I use my ammonia alert in the tank to notify me/for ease but still do water tests weekly. i've noticed the alert shows changes in ammonia very slowly...and it shows reduce in ammonia even slower.

Metal_Angler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually super easy. I’ll post something on it when I get it all proved out. I am now working on the base design with casters.

Would you be able to open it if there was a loss of power?
I think if it opens enough for you to pull the media rack, that'll be all the clearance you'd need.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would you be able to open it if there was a loss of power?
I think if it opens enough for you to pull the media rack, that'll be all the clearance you'd need.

Haha, that’s an interesting thought. I plan to have a UPS, but I may think about doing it such that if power goes out, then it just defaults to open. Lights will turn off anyway so it won’t matter if they are up high. Idk.

In 3 years, I’ve never lost power on my tank, so a UPS should be fine, but I’ll look into it.

Metal_Angler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, that’s an interesting thought. I plan to have a UPS, but I may think about doing it such that if power goes out, then it just defaults to open. Lights will turn off anyway so it won’t matter if they are up high. Idk.

In 3 years, I’ve never lost power on my tank, so a UPS should be fine, but I’ll look into it.
Default to open makes the most sense to me as well if you could do that. Just in case you had to get back there for any reason.

I haven't had a bad one but have lost power before due to living in Florida and having to deal with hurricanes and such.

Can't wait to see you start building the stand and canopy. I may have to do something similar in the future. [emoji16]

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back