Glass baffles in acrylic tank

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
What would be the best glue to install glass baffles into acrylic tank? For sump purpose, doesn't have to be structural grade bound.
Spot glue epoxy putty first then silicone. Follow the directions on the epoxy putty. They tell you how to prep the surface area first

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used aquarium silicone attaching my acrylic baffles to my glass sump and they are held tights. Not going anywhere without significant manipulation/cutting.
I did the same with my glass sump. This time I have acrylic tank and glass baffles. I haven't got many replies so it is not common. I will try with gorilla silicone, hopefully will work.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi imo get some acrylic baffles and weld on 16 good to go ,careful of fumes

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone adheres to acrylic better than most folks believe. Not well enough to hold an acrylic display together, but probably well enough to keep glass baffles in place. One thing you could do is use small glass trips to increase adhesion to the sump sides.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm pretty sure we talked before,think you are getting in large system, silicone will not hold up past 8-10 years will fail ,the acrylic will weld together look better ,easier ,nothing quarantted ,but will not fail just my opinion

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have smaller sump and I like its design. It is something like this
sump drawn.png

I would like to keep 3 sections so I need 3 pieces 9x15 and piece 10x15. I can have all 4 for $17 from home depot. Plus like $5 for silicone.
(something like but food grade)

I would love to go with acrylic baffles since I have router table and I can do some more interesting baffles but I would need to spend much more money and I am short on budget.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with fishguy242. Acrylic baffles with acrylic cement will give you the best and longest lasting results. If the sump is 1/4” acrylic , it will definitely bow outward with water pressure. Then your glass baffle will seperate with time.

John Rebman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very careful using .125" glass even in a sump. It would not take much of a bump and the glass would break.
Se if there is an acrylic shop or fabricator in your area that may have scrap acrylic for a greatly discounted price.
There is one in my area that sells scraps pieces by the pound.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back