Glass bottle in reef tank

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I've got an old Coke bottle that I found diving in Guam about 20 years ago. It was probably 40 or 50 years old when I found it I've had it in numerous tanks. As soon as I can locate it again it's going to go in my new build. I had a Gobi that loved to sit in the neck and watch everything go by. It was his house and he would defend it.

turkeereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are asking why throw a bottle in the tank I agree. I'm doing more to it than just a bottle. The next step is mortar. Make it all rough and add charicter. I'm going to grow some gsp and zoa on the bottles.
The bottles will be slightly buried so as to hide some of the profile and well I dont have a whole bottle because of the way it broke.

If I had. Big enough tank I would sink a wooden pirate ship as well. Who doesnt like diving on a wreck.

I wouldn't like the pirate ship but I can tell you that I grew up in S. Florida and we always went to the Florida Keys in the summer. Back then glass bottles with coral growth were all the rage and not at all considered pollution. Usually it was a lacy form of the Hydrozoan coral that we call "Fire Coral". (I don't know the official name.) Later in life, I personally got 100 small glass bottles in which airline liquor used to be served. I planted these in a "secret spot" in the Sea of Cortez in Baja where lots of Porites sp. (I think) corals were growing. I have never been back in the past 40 years to retrieve my treasure.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
whooo ,are you kidding me!!! way to go!!!!

USERS WHO ARE VIEWING THIS THREAD (TOTAL: 466, MEMBERS: 187, GUESTS: 279)

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeez ,you are going to surpass my build in pages on this one @sfin52 ;) ;Woot;Woot;Woot;Woot
whooo ,are you kidding me!!! way to go!!!!

USERS WHO ARE VIEWING THIS THREAD (TOTAL: 466, MEMBERS: 187, GUESTS: 279)
giphy (1).gif

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can y’all post pics of the finished product, bottles in reef encrusted or started? Curious to see how it looks.
Paul b is the only one I know who has them in his reef. With age and all kinds of stuff growing on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tucker64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a warning on doing this. Make sure you can see the inside of the bottle where ever you place it. I put one in a tank 7 years ago and have zoas covering it. I put it on a angle and place it between two rocks. A few months later my tank crashes. When I pulled out the bottle I found a ton of dead hermit crabs that had been trapped in the bottle and died. I wasn’t able to see them because of the angle of the bottle and the coral covering it. Just a word of caution when considering placement.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back