Glass Cages 180 & 165 dual tank build

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit to this thread 2/11/2023

This has turned into a dual tank build, and here is the story. Absolute kudos to @Joe Glass Cages

I found a GlassCages tank on their clearance site, and decided to order it. I needed to have a stand built and commissioned them to build a stand for the tank. I did the ordering through NewAlbany Reef Systems my LFS (awesome place and people). The tank and stand showed up 3 weeks ago, and unfortunately the stand was a 1/2 off on the width so the tank was hanging off the back a 1/2 ". My LFS made a call to Joe at Glass Cages, and stated the issue, without hesitation Joe said he would make it right and get me another stand built.
The original plan was to leave my 110 gallon reef tank and convert to a fowlr tank. My wife looks at the new tank and stand and decides the old tank just isn't going to look good sitting next to the GlassCages tank, so we decide to keep the original stand that was off a 1/2 ", and have a tank built that will fit on it.
Fast forward 3 weeks, and my LFS calls and tells me Joe is driving the replacement stand up to me from Tennessee. That my friends is the best customer service I have ever received. There was a hiccup with the original order, but Joe went far above and beyond to make it right, I can't say enough good things about GlassCages and Joe. Of course I need to add the quality of the stand and tank are phenomenal, the tank is built like a tank and the finishing on the stand is superb.

I can now start plumbing the 180 and get my 110 moved over, then when the 165 gets here, I will be ready to start that tank.

Now on to the original thread.

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

Since I have always looked at everybody else's build threads figured I would start one of my own. I started in this hobby a year ago almost to the day. I started with a 110 gallon tank, that was supposed to be a fowler, but quickly got addicted to the corals. The plan for the new tank is to move the 110 inhabitants, and the majority of a 25 gallon Waterbox aquarium over to the new Glass Cages tank. The 110 is going to be left up as a fowler, to become home to a Porcupine puffer, a couple clowns, and a maybe a Lion Fish. I currently have to pair of clowns, the pair in the 25 will get moved to the 110 once the 171 is setup. I need to make sure they are big enough to not fit in the Lion's mouth, so may be a while on the Lion. I picked up the 171 out of the clearance page of Glass Cages site, that's why it has the odd gallons vs being a 180, but I got a good deal on it. The corals and fish have all come from my LFS Reef Systems in New Albany Oh.
Equipment planned for the tank is as follows:
Bashsea 48" sump
3- Radion XR-30 lights
Vectra M2 return pump
Skimmer not decided yet
Innovative Marine Helios 1000 watt heater package
2-MP-60 powerheads
I'll be moving my Apex, Trident, and DOS pumps from the 110.

I plan to move the rock from the 110 and the 25 over to the new tank, but I'm leaving it bare bottom. The 110 will keep a couple pieces of existing rock that have Pulsing Xenia, Green Palys, and GSP on it. I don't want that stuff in the new tank, it can stay with the messy fish going in the 110. I will be adding some new pieces of rock that I am aqua scaping now, Then they will go in a Brute for a month with some live rock to seed it.

Here is pics of the old tanks that will be getting moved, and some aqua scaping
110.jpg
25.jpg
aquascape.jpg
beginnings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays update.
Finished the new rockwork, I'm thinking this will be the center of the tank, and I'll put the existing rocks in the old tanks on either side of it. I used acrylic rod and drilled the rocks, so it can all be taken apart if need be.

I set up a stock tank, going to go get a piece of live rock from the LFS today, and let it all start curing.

final rock scape.jpg
stock tank.jpg

OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the Adaptive Reef controller cabinet. This will sit next to the tank, trying to keep the electronics out of the tank stand. I will have 1 power bar under there for DOS containers and ATO. Might power the lights off that strip, have to wait and see.

controller front.jpg
controller rear.jpg

saulgoodmannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preview of the tank. I pulled it off their pics portion of the site. Looks like same pic of when it was for sale, so pretty sure it’s mine. Still waiting on the stand to be completed. It’s hard waiting lol.
71065FE4-D1D8-44BF-BB83-0C91A382A070.jpeg
Pretty sure we have the same tank lol mine is 72” x 25 1/2 x 22 with armored seams. Where did you get your poly containers from? Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure we have the same tank lol mine is 72” x 25 1/2 x 22 with armored seams. Where did you get your poly containers from? Can’t wait to see how this turns out!
Does sound like the same tank. I would have liked armored seams, but the tank was already built. Do you have a build thread ? Like to check it out.
The poly tanks are Norwesco, my LFS got them in for me.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duplicate post

Last edited:

saulgoodmannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sound like the same tank. I would have liked armored seams, but the tank was already built. Do you have a build thread ? Like to check it out.
The poly tanks are Norwesco, my LFS got them in for me.
I picked mine up from another member over the summer. Crazy good deal but unfortunately I have on the fence and wasn’t sure if I was going to stay in my house so I waited. It’s my first big tank in the triple digits so relying on the community's builds to make my choices lol. Just finishing ordering my stuff now but I can’t decide whether or not to chop up my Trigger 44 to put a Clarisea DC5000 in or skip a fuge and go for a Reef Mat 1200 and put the Nyos 160 in the fuge section. Here’s some pics of how he had it. He had the stand from a previous peninsula build but I still haven’t decided if I’m going to do something else or save the $ and just throw a cabinet on the open end and paint/stain it.

Attachments

• A38D65F1-AB02-4FC9-8980-9623440657C1.png
    A38D65F1-AB02-4FC9-8980-9623440657C1.png
    564.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 46AD090D-E0F5-40AB-8A5E-9D5AFF2B3580.png
    46AD090D-E0F5-40AB-8A5E-9D5AFF2B3580.png
    396.6 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked mine up from another member over the summer. Crazy good deal but unfortunately I have on the fence and wasn’t sure if I was going to stay in my house so I waited. It’s my first big tank in the triple digits so relying on the community's builds to make my choices lol. Just finishing ordering my stuff now but I can’t decide whether or not to chop up my Trigger 44 to put a Clarisea DC5000 in or skip a fuge and go for a Reef Mat 1200 and put the Nyos 160 in the fuge section. Here’s some pics of how he had it. He had the stand from a previous peninsula build but I still haven’t decided if I’m going to do something else or save the $ and just throw a cabinet on the open end and paint/stain it.
You should start a build thread when you get started. I like watching how everybody does their setups. That's a good looking tank, I do like the dimensions.

OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped the 2 500 watt heaters for 2 350 watt heaters. The 500 were too long for the sump space and I didn’t like how I had to mount them. Hopefully 700 watts will be enough. Of course these have shorter cords, so the heater controller will probably have to go under the tank in the stand. I’m sure I’ll have more changes.
62ECBF42-462F-4182-9F02-BE436B0BD16F.jpeg

OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to do today, and I have a winter crud cold, so figured I'd post my stock list. I already have all the fish in my 110 except for the coral beauty, he is in the 25. Hoping he gets along with the flame angel, he is smaller. I will be moving him prior to the flame angel. The flame angel and purple tang will be the last to go in the new tank.

1 purple tang
1 hippo tang
2 fairy wrasses
2 yellow damsels
2 sapphire damsels
1 bicolor blenny
1 royal gramma
2 clowns
2 striped blennies
1 split tail blenny
1 watchman goby
2 benghai cardinals
1 flame angel
1 coral beauty angel
15 trochus snails
30 or 40 hermits
4 cleaner shrimp
2 emerald crabs
1 elephant slug

Also attaching pics of the majority of corals moving over. I will NOT be moving any xenia, GSP, or Green Palys. Those rocks are staying in the 110, I'm just going to let the nuisances coral grow, I figure with a porcupine puffer and lion fish they should get plenty of nutrients and grow well. Excuse the toad stool, we call it Mr *****, because he never looks happy, but he has looked like that for 6 months and keeps growing.
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_3583.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG
IMG_3591.JPG
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG