Glass Chip!!!!! Please tell me i'm not screwed!!!

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok..another view.. maybe a scrape is a better word...

20171210_193345.jpg

20171210_193233.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last pic looks like a deep scratch. But to the right a little i see this half moon shape ring. Does that look like silicone to you or is that in the glass

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be in a rush to set this tank up. Personally, I'd fill it with water and let it sit for a MONTH. Then again, I'm a procrastinator so a month is easy for me. ;)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much better okay look directly above the letter E in the word states. You see that half moon shape line. That’s the edge of you clam shaped chip. The fogginess in the center is glass that’s separated and broken. I wonder how deep that part is. Everything else is good because there’s no running break aways but I’m almost positive it’s not tempered now so now I’m kinda leaning towards throwing another piece on top to transfer pressure build up

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that the tank doesn’t sit flat kinda sketches me out to. I feel like the pressure is greater on that bottom glass since it’s raised on its frame. Idk What do you guys think

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider:
A: Calling a local glass shop to see if they have a solution.
B: Finding a spot in the yard /concrete to fill it and leave it for 24hrs. Weather permitting. (I do this with a used tank I had bought before letting it come in the house.)

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about it. No one can tell for certain that bottom won't fail at some point in the future. It is only opinion at this point and everyone will have one. Now let's say you get that tank set up and fill it with what will eventually be thousands of dollars of livestock. Now consider how much damage 180 gallons of salt water can do to your home. It won't be pretty. Is it worth risking all of that to take a chance? With water, sand and rock, you are looking at about 2,000 (or more) pounds sitting on that bottom glass.

Personally, I would cut my losses, sell the tank as is to someone that doesn't think it is a big deal and get a new tank. That is the only way I would have peace of mind. That's just me though.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about it. No one can tell for certain that bottom won't fail at some point in the future. It is only opinion at this point and everyone will have one. Now let's say you get that tank set up and fill it with what will eventually be thousands of dollars of livestock. Now consider how much damage 180 gallons of salt water can do to your home. It won't be pretty. Is it worth risking all of that to take a chance? With water, sand and rock, you are looking at about 2,000 (or more) pounds sitting on that bottom glass.

Personally, I would cut my losses, sell the tank as is to someone that doesn't think it is a big deal and get a new tank. That is the only way I would have peace of mind. That's just me though.
Very very true! Well put man and I’m sure this is in the back of all our heads and we all have our own price we pay for piece of mind this may be more then what your willing to pay but you can always chalk it up to being better safe then sorry and I’m sure you can sell the tank at good price to sell it fast and put that money towards a new tank

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it may or may not break no one knows.. but then a perfect tank can fail too.. so I’m gonna try it regardless.. just trying to figure out best way to fix it for now.. if it breaks than it has a warranty ..

Not gonna be full of anything for a while. Got to build a canopy and get equipment set... so I have time to do a water test...

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a shallow chip.. just past the surface.. but its not enough to stick something in to gauge

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting.. I think that would be under flood insurance.. I haven't called them on it yet, but was thinking about that anyway.

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired.. Heading to bed... Sent in info to glass company. Will see how viable a 12" x12" by 1/4" piece of glass will do. As as pressure plate (i guess you would call it that)

And want to thank everyone so far for the input .. I haven't discounted anything said yet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not an easy shot.. may be this helps
Ok, it's enough depth I can feel it, but not enough to get a small nail in.

Maybe not as bad as I thought...

20171210_111444.jpg

20171210_111617.jpg

Worst case scenario - take a large piece of glass - and silicone it over the chip. cover the whole bottom if you want - but just a piece of glass lets say 12 inches square siliconed over the spot probably take care of it.
I dont think its a good idea to put something 'under it' - because if the rest of the tank sinks a little it will put more pressure on that area.

In any case - get an expert to answer this - Im just saying what I would do.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So - lets say he bought a piece of glass as big as the entire bottom of the tank - and siliconed it throughout over the chip - that would fix it - if it was really a 'problem' why would you ever recommend selling it to someone else lol - even if you could con them (or they thought) that the chip was a non-issue. If I had a car I knew was 'irreparable' - I wouldn't sell it to someone because - they think they can fix it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back