Glass Chip!!!!! Please tell me i'm not screwed!!!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sand paper the chip (helps not having it extend more if there's any microcracks....) and I would add a coble bootom to the tank preferably from the niside (above current glass) can be a 2 part glass or a single sheet just a bit smaller than the inside of the tank and add many silicon drops between the two sheets to cushion the upper glass and also make a good seal between the added bottom and the vertical pannels.
heres hows my tank was made: dual bottom with lower pannel made of 2 sheets and upper one made of 3...
Maroun.c 390 G build thread

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So - lets say he bought a piece of glass as big as the entire bottom of the tank - and siliconed it throughout over the chip - that would fix it - if it was really a 'problem' why would you ever recommend selling it to someone else lol - even if you could con them (or they thought) that the chip was a non-issue. If I had a car I knew was 'irreparable' - I wouldn't sell it to someone because - they think they can fix it.
I bought and still have a 150gal tank with a crack through the bottom of it and another 3/4in thick piece of glass poorly glued to the top of that crack...when I say crack I mean all the way through front to back. I bought it for the glass and cuz it was cheap. We fools who by broken and useless to many things are out there. I plan to make 2 36wx18dx12t in frag tanks out of it the glass is an inch thick on the bottom and 3/4in on the sides.(old tank)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - lets say he bought a piece of glass as big as the entire bottom of the tank - and siliconed it throughout over the chip - that would fix it - if it was really a 'problem' why would you ever recommend selling it to someone else lol - even if you could con them (or they thought) that the chip was a non-issue. If I had a car I knew was 'irreparable' - I wouldn't sell it to someone because - they think they can fix it.
No dude you sell it to someone like me who doesn’t mind putting the work in of cutting a new piece of glass and gluing it on. Some people like a more plug n play that’s why he suggested cutting his loses and getting a fresh start with a new tank

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I wasn't suggesting dumping the tank off on some unsuspecting individual. Some people look for tanks like this to repair and use. What may seem "irreparable" to you, may be an easy fix to someone else - cars included. If the glass isn't tempered (which I don't believe it is at this point), the easiest thing to do, IMO, would be to drill out the chip and either install a schedule 80 bulkhead with plugs, or silicone a 1/4" glass plate patch on the top and bottom of the hole, also filling the hole with silicone. The latter process I have personally done twice in the bottom of a 200 gallon Oceanic, with no issues on a tank I had for 10 years. The holes in my 200 were large enough to accommodate a schedule 80 2" bulkhead, so they were about 3" in diameter. But, this is a brand new tank we are talking about. I personally would not want to start a nice build with having to patch a tank. If getting a new tank is not an option for the OP, then I know the process described has worked for me in the past. I do know that any repair I would do to the tank would not involve leaving the chip there and patching over it. Again, it is just my opinion and everyone will have one of those.

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since its a shallow chip.. do I need to drill all the way through just to put a patch on top? Seems like that would be excessive.. But I have drilled glass, so that's not an issue for me...

About to call Aquarium shop.. Just talked to insurance company to make sure I got coverage if something fails..

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that the tank doesn’t sit flat kinda sketches me out to. I feel like the pressure is greater on that bottom glass since it’s raised on its frame. Idk What do you guys think

Ya know... I wondered about this. If there is a bottom frame, then the plywood wouldn't be much help due to the space created by the frame between the glass bottom and the plywood.

The thing to do would be to cut a piece of plywood which fits within the frame but doesn't exceed the depth.

Oh if only we could rewind and redo when things go wrong in this hobby.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired.. Heading to bed... Sent in info to glass company. Will see how viable a 12" x12" by 1/4" piece of glass will do. As as pressure plate (i guess you would call it that)

And want to thank everyone so far for the input .. I haven't discounted anything said yet.

What about a piece of 1/4 inch glass the size of the bottom? You could just lay it in there and silicone the edges giving you a double pane bottom.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No dude you sell it to someone like me who doesn’t mind putting the work in of cutting a new piece of glass and gluing it on. Some people like a more plug n play that’s why he suggested cutting his loses and getting a fresh start with a new tank
I was only saying if he really thought it was irreparable selling it to someone who thinks they can doesn’t seem quite right if it was irreparable (i mean like an expert said it was irreparable)

Of course, unlike several have said ( and you realize ) this is something easily repaired and not dangerous at all after its repaired

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Officially there is no tempered glass on this tank.
The reason guys suggested drilling all the way threw the glass is so you get a clean cut out around the chipped area to prevent any further cracking of the glass. And since it’s not tempered this is much more likely to happen under pressure

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off, I wasn't suggesting dumping the tank off on some unsuspecting individual. Some people look for tanks like this to repair and use. What may seem "irreparable" to you, may be an easy fix to someone else - cars included. If the glass isn't tempered (which I don't believe it is at this point), the easiest thing to do, IMO, would be to drill out the chip and either install a schedule 80 bulkhead with plugs, or silicone a 1/4" glass plate patch on the top and bottom of the hole, also filling the hole with silicone. The latter process I have personally done twice in the bottom of a 200 gallon Oceanic, with no issues on a tank I had for 10 years. The holes in my 200 were large enough to accommodate a schedule 80 2" bulkhead, so they were about 3" in diameter. But, this is a brand new tank we are talking about. I personally would not want to start a nice build with having to patch a tank. If getting a new tank is not an option for the OP, then I know the process described has worked for me in the past. I do know that any repair I would do to the tank would not involve leaving the chip there and patching over it. Again, it is just my opinion and everyone will have one of those.

I know see my response to doclight. I used a stupid way to try to suggest it’s an easy repair.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason guys suggested drilling all the way threw the glass is so you get a clean cut out around the chipped area to prevent any further cracking of the glass. And since it’s not tempered this is much more likely to happen under pressure

Just curious. If you took a piece of glass that covered the whole bottom with a layer of silicone. All of the pressure is distributed over that piece of glass. Which is the same as having a new bottom. If you drill the tank would you put more glass on with silicone or put a bulkhead in-which would mean cutting a hole in the stand as well

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only saying if he really thought it was irreparable selling it to someone who thinks they can doesn’t seem quite right if it was irreparable (i mean like an expert said it was irreparable)

Of course, unlike several have said ( and you realize ) this is something easily repaired and not dangerous at all after its repaired

I hear what your saying I think i was defending someone else who suggested to just start fresh because for some people that’s as far as they need to go for piece of mind you know. to each their own. it’s not my opinion on the matter but for some people that have no interest in doing DIY stuff that would be an option at this point.
And it’s definitely fixable in more then one way I’ve never built aquariums professionally but i have cut a lot of glass for my profession 1/4 glass comes free to commercial glaziers when mistakes are made and as i suggested earlier and if it was my tank I would cut a new piece of 1/4 and Lay it inside on top of the bottom unit and glue the edges to the side panels with a fat black silicone bead. Hardest part probably getting perfect tape lines but get all the silicone smoothed over and thined out over the tapes edge so that when you pull the tape there’s no excess silicone making a mess of your caulk joint. But god this gonna make the tank heavy haha

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. If you took a piece of glass that covered the whole bottom with a layer of silicone. All of the pressure is distributed over that piece of glass. Which is the same as having a new bottom. If you drill the tank would you put more glass on with silicone or put a bulkhead in-which would mean cutting a hole in the stand as well

I was typing my novel as you were posting this haha. This is a cool thread. Okay i wouldn’t drill threw this glass but if it was already done I’d go the bulkhead route since the stand sits up on a frame

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to patch it.. Not a problem. Just have to get the glass cut.. Not going to do entire bottom. I think a 12"x12" in the 1/4" glass should be good. Might go to 24x24 if they will ever get back to me with a price!!!

Thanks everyone.. I'll post pics after Christmas on the repair and if it worked...

(Also, its not the repair that is the issue. Only that you do the RIGHT repair).. :)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to patch it.. Not a problem. Just have to get the glass cut.. Not going to do entire bottom. I think a 12"x12" in the 1/4" glass should be good. Might go to 24x24 if they will ever get back to me with a price!!!

Thanks everyone.. I'll post pics after Christmas on the repair and if it worked...

(Also, its not the repair that is the issue. Only that you do the RIGHT repair).. :)
Right on man! happy reefing to you

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a 2 part flowing epoxy about 1/4" thick would fully seal and fortify the whole bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the epoxy is better than silicone? I plan to seal the outside edges just like the edges of the tank. Keep water from slowly seeping underneath.

What brand/epoxy are you recommending?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back