Glass Chip!!!!! Please tell me i'm not screwed!!!

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to watch a video to see how that worked. It basically is pouring a new bottom. Interesting! The things you learn.

I already have the glass, so I'll go with that method. However, if it doesn't hold, this is a doable alternative.

Thanks

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep and all epoxy can be tinted/ colored... you could also add aggregate for a natural look with out loosing strength.

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used all the silicone I had.. I'll have to get another tube and I'll seal in all the edges.

Also,should mention the spot in question is in the middle. Exact middle.

20171218_163505.jpg

Last edited:

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it works out for ya... only concern I would have is the Silicon will compress under all the weight and if its thicker in one spot then it might Crack. But I hope it hold for years to come :)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it works out for ya... only concern I would have is the Silicon will compress under all the weight and if its thicker in one spot then it might Crack. But I hope it hold for years to come :)
When I was an apprentice in training they always told us when isntalling mirrors with mastic to glue big globes and not lines or the mirror can break I don’t remember how or if it’s any different with silicone but your not really worried about that piece. And as long as the tank bottom glass isn’t cracked just chipped this should hold!

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely a learning experience.. had i not asked, i'd have just let it be... The silicone may look a bit uneven, but I pressed it down to get it as even as I can. My caulking gun busted through the back of the tube so it was not ideal.

I got more silicone now. Will be finishing off the edges of the piece. Also finishing my sump this week, and then I'll start testing with water. Will be checking for level as well as leaks at same time..

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI.. I have the plate completely sealed in now. Have help coming Saturday to get the tank on the stand. It's really heavy!

Will then try a partial water test. Nervous as hell over this... the amount of money spent to get to this point wasn't easy.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI.. I have the plate completely sealed in now. Have help coming Saturday to get the tank on the stand. It's really heavy!

Will then try a partial water test. Nervous as hell over this... the amount of money spent to get to this point wasn't easy.
Awesome man we’re all rootin for ya! give the silicone 48 hours to dry and fill it up all the way dude!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give me an idea of how much I’ve always wondered this

Average will be around $200 a month. Depending on how many watts of light you run, what and how many supplements you dose and what percentage of water changes you do.

On my 200 I do 40 gallons of water changes a month and also the top off uses around 14 gallons of rodi a week. That alone adds roughly $50 a month to your water bill.

OP
OP
Doclight

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping you know the real expenses of maintaining a tank that size? I didn't when I first setup mine.

Yeah expenses depend on a lot of things.. like what equipment you use and how much extras you put into it. I have always run a biological tank so I didnt do dosing or all those extra things. Now will be different

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the price to own tangs is a never ending one for sure haha still tho I see my self getting a 125g when I’m financially able. right now I’m happy with the 60g cube it’s a really low maintenance tank so I don’t see my self getting rid of it. even after I upgrade

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used all the silicone I had.. I'll have to get another tube and I'll seal in all the edges.

Also,should mention the spot in question is in the middle. Exact middle.

20171218_163505.jpg

I like it! I would have done the same thing with a pane covering the entire bottom... for appearance purpose.

... But who's gonna see it?

... No one... but I'll know its there. LOL

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back