Glass Cleaners and Algae Scrapers: What's the best?

Do you own a magnetized algae cleaning glass tool?

• YES

Votes: 704 91.9%
  • NO

Votes: 55 7.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing WE ALL NEED is something that keeps our glass clean! There are many options and tools to accomplish this glass cleaning task but which ones are the best and why? Let the community weigh in!

1. Which glass/algae cleaner, scraper tool do you use?

2. Which tool do you think is the best when it comes to keeping your glass clean?

RTZ34000-2.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipper Max

Its very simple to use, and you can leave it in the tank which makes life even easier.

I keep one in both my tanks hidden in the side corner so you can’t notice it

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnavore, it has very strong magnets and does a great job. also very expensive. Take care

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great timing - I need to replace my amazon special soon. Looking forward to what others use.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammerhead. I *think* it may have caused some very small scratches, but it’s hard to say. I’ve taken to removing it and cleaning the scrub pad out each time.

I have a Tunze from a smaller tank, and I liked it a lot except it falls apart occasionally and the blade ends up on the bottom. Also can’t change planes, so a little trickier to use (have to keep putting hands in) The new float kit is intriguing enough that I might give it a go... maybe glue the blade holders in.

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I find a good old fashioned credit card as one of the most reliable tools in the tank!

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flipper for general cleaning during the week, and using a Tunze strong for around the sand once a week.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer wand scrappers over magnets. I think they do a better job. Also I run UV so rarely have to clean the glass. I just got it last week but for a scrapper I like these styles. Before I had one that was suppose to be made out of stainless but it started to rust a bit from the screws and plate that held the blade. Ran across this one of the same style but made out of titanium. Expensive but was worth it to me. Reason I like it is the size as it’s great for my smaller tanks. Also the blades are sharp so it plows through coralline and they are dirt cheap.

14BB90AB-66A4-4B72-A971-FE14A1AC51E6.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Flipper Max. I used to have a hammerhead - but to me the flipper works much better. That said - A large putty knife - works well when doing a water change (when the level is lower) - and also avoids the problem of small sand particles getting between the scraper and the glass - causing scratches.

Back