Glass Cleaners and Algae Scrapers: What's the best?

Do you own a magnetized algae cleaning glass tool?

• YES

Votes: 704 91.9%
  • NO

Votes: 55 7.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which glass/algae cleaner, scraper tool do you use? Flipper Max

2. Which tool do you think is the best when it comes to keeping your glass clean?
Flipper Max and snails

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't got the tank yet but that's another story. We ended up ordering a new tank because the used one we got was so scratched up. This thread got my attention because I'd like to avoid the same damage from scraping on the new one.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have them all. at times they are mixed and matched.. lol I like the tunze.. but its too weak for my glass so I have stronger mag on the outside.. They scrappers from amazon not to bad.. Ohh.. and I have a flipper somewhere in the tnak also.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hygger. It works fine on my 3/4" glass even though I use the small one. I'm sure if I went extremely fast I could knock it off easier, but I've only knocked it off a few times and it floats so no big deal.

The scrapper is detachable. I liked it enough I got a 2nd one for my 29g.

It's under $30.

echopiece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Tunze Care Magnet for Christmas and I absolutely love it! I was skeptical at first and didn't think it would remove a years worth of coralline algae, but it did, and with ease (using the stainless blade)! I keep the scraper outside of the tank, and use it once a week for maintenance.

devocole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have liked the mag float for many years and still do. Now trying the Tunze and don't like it at all. Having to use my finger grip and the blade is smaller the the width of the insert. I bought the tiger shark and will be buying the flipper as well. As it looks the biggest and large blade. These are all the largest sizes. I ask my local store why he caries the tunze it is not good.

Ken Ooi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which glass/algae cleaner, scraper tool do you use? Flipper Max

2. Which tool do you think is the best when it comes to keeping your glass clean? Flipper Max and snails
I use Fluval

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, costs pennies and does the job!
11lF96M8ZoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an AlgaeFree Hammerhead for years and recently bought the wet side with the scraper blade. Much easier. I used to get into my tank monthly with a straight razor to scrape coralline. I much prefer the magnetic blade attachment now. Costly, but worth the investment.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipper is ok. The felt side is garbage somehow it managed to scratch my glass dispite not having any sand in the tank. The scraper work ok but for best results I wet the glass with di water then it slips nicely otherwise it jumps and skips.

Mikeht11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only used a flipper. No issues here, does the job, big or small. Got a free mag float with a tank I bought off a guy.... didn’t like the feel. I gave it away without trying to use it.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a flipper and magnafloat. I find both to be absolutely junk. Need blade replace ment once every 2 months and use it minimally and a few times per week. Not sure why but they only scrape well a few times and then don't get into corners where it's needed. Meaning I have to take a glove and use a blade manually. Maybe I bought duds. But so far haven't found one worth reccomending yet unless I'm using them wrong lol

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back