Glass Cleaners and Algae Scrapers: What's the best?

Do you own a magnetized algae cleaning glass tool?

• YES

Votes: 704 91.9%
  • NO

Votes: 55 7.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze care (with booster) unless I would need the pico model, then I go Fluval razor.
Tunze care just flat out scrapes the flippers I had before and the blades last longer and are way cheaper, plus when they forst start to wear out, just flip to the other edge and ots basically new again so the refill pack is basically like getting 6 blades for the price of 3. With the booster float, it's really a no brainer for me since they dont have a pad permantly against the glass just waiting to trap sand. Also the only plastic edge I've seen that I would even generously call "sharp"
Fluval razor is great on little tanks. Easy to work around stuff due to the super skinny profile, scrapes well, has a scrubber opposite the blade for soft algae and blades can be had cheap if you shop around. Wish the blades lasted longer but I pay less than $1 each so can't complain too much

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't many algae magnet tools that I don't have... just kept acquiring them and not even on purpose. Tiger Shark, Magnavore, Tunze care, several mag floats, several handle-d scraper. I tend to use them all at different times and for different reasons. The one I use the most is the Tiger shark wet side matched with the magnavore dry side. Since the dry side is smaller it allows me to clean above and below the frames and the wet side floats (magnavore wet side does NOT float). This is the one problem with the Tunze care magnet... doesn't float. Otherwise it is also quite a good algae tool.

mauisue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which glass/algae cleaner, scraper tool do you use? Flipper Max

2. Which tool do you think is the best when it comes to keeping your glass clean? Flipper Max and snails
Mag float for glass/algae cleaner with a hand towel on out side glass between them

The Bee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing WE ALL NEED is something that keeps our glass clean! There are many options and tools to accomplish this glass cleaning task but which ones are the best and why? Let the community weigh in!

1. Which glass/algae cleaner, scraper tool do you use?

2. Which tool do you think is the best when it comes to keeping your glass clean?

RTZ34000-2.jpg

SaltCreepReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipper max on my acrylic tank and I just got the Hygger medium sized for my bow front, both work well, I clean the acrylic with Novus 1 polish before scraping and it slides really easily.

don74136

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammerhead. I *think* it may have caused some very small scratches, but it’s hard to say. I’ve taken to removing it and cleaning the scrub pad out each time.

I have a Tunze from a smaller tank, and I liked it a lot except it falls apart occasionally and the blade ends up on the bottom. Also can’t change planes, so a little trickier to use (have to keep putting hands in) The new float kit is intriguing enough that I might give it a go... maybe glue the blade holders in.
I used aquarium sealant to glue the parts of the Tunze that fall off. That way if you need to detach the parts someday you can peel it off. You can’t do that with super glue!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mighty Magnets, with the Algae Cutter Bag. Does a better job on my acrylic tank than any other mag cleaner that I've used before
Thanks! I have a big acrylic tank coming at the end of the month. I was wondering how to clean it. It's my first go at acrylic...

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a big acrylic tank coming at the end of the month. I was wondering how to clean it. It's my first go at acrylic...
Still have to be careful about getting sand particles between the magnet and the wall, but this thing is killer. Worth the money spent, in the time it saves me.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3/4" glass. Did a double take at the cost of big scrapers, so I bought a couple big rare earth magnets and imbedded them in epoxy and applied pond foam to the inside magnet. I have felt for the outside magnet and Velcro hooks for the inside. I also rigged up a blade holder. Usually, I only use the Velcro hooks. It's heavy duty and works well.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think everyone finds a particular product they prefer to others and stick to it. I got a algae free cleaner i believe a hammerhead plus? For my tabk and I love it works so well currently not using the scraper attachment but its smooth and works effortlessly

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap Innovative Marine that I customized with a solid brass “mini” divers helmet as a handle. Works fine because I clean the glass every day so buildup is minimal.
2ECAC3DF-3DAA-40EF-BF64-EA52236661C2.jpeg

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze care, a mighty magnet, and a flipper. I also have a 3/4 thick acrylic tank. I still have not found a good one that cleans the algae without scratching, especially near the gravel. The best so far is the flipper for most of the tank (on the scrubber side it doesn't scratch too much, the mighty magnet and Tunze does leave scratches). I use the Tunz scraper near the gravel, (I can't use a scrubber one or it will get gravel stuck in it and really scratch). I don't like using the flipper scraper, because the scraper is not flat (it has grooves, so it only scrapes of a portion, and I have to go over many times to get all the algae).

If the Tunze did not scratch the acrylic, it would be my go to, but since it leaves scratches I only use it near the grave (but I still don't like the scratches it leaves there). I do have the scratch remover for the mighty magnet that I want to try sometime.

Edit: Maybe I am just super sensitive to scratches. I can just notice the scratches when you look from the side.

Last edited:

MFoote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipper works great for a magnetic everyday glass cleaner.

If I ever feel the need to scrape the back or somewhere the magnetic cleaner wont reach, I use a 24inch, Kent marine pro scrapper. It cost $15.00

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back