Glass Cleaners and Algae Scrapers: What's the best?

Do you own a magnetized algae cleaning glass tool?

• YES

Votes: 704 91.9%
  • NO

Votes: 55 7.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on 3D printing a scraper tool that can accommodate a standard razor blade. Cheap and effective. Although I do have a magnet tool, I don’t like taking the wet side out of the tank. And since I have a bio cube the front of it is curved so it requires specific needs

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live my AF Tiger Shark, largest in the float series and fantastic on my 19mm glass, watch your fingers, no seriously, watch your fingers.
Also use a non mag SSteel blade on my water level.
Seen a Tunze in action once, jeez so easy, may get one of those too, just something to rip around the substrate edge real easy without fear of scratches would be nice.

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is great but for really tough stuff I use single edge razor blade stuck in slot cut in end of wooden dowel. Cheap, ugly and extremely effective:)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently I'd always used mag floats because they are cheap and they were okay to use but I recently bought the Algea Free Piranha and that thing is great, I wish I would've got one a long time ago. My wife however said she hates the Algea Free because it is so hard to move around the glass.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze care magnetic scraper.
works great, but I don't like how the parts can fall off.
And I'm not a huge fan of the float system. kinda bulky/clumsy solution if you ask me.... wish they would have built buoyancy into them somehow. Other than that, they work great around the substrate. Only wish they worked around corners too.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which glass/algae cleaner, scraper tool do you use?

1610024177657.png

The very one used in the poll question.

2. Which tool do you think is the best when it comes to keeping your glass clean?

Although I use a magnetic scraper I also use other methods, magic eraser and a generic scrapper on a stick and i use basic razor blades. Note: Razor blades can scratch glass. I wash windows for a living and use them all the time. One tip is don't put a lot of force behind the blade and only use a razor where is is absolutly needed.

FLReefer101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag float with attached scraper, I only put it in the tank when I clean the glass then take it out and wash with ro water. They last longer and don’t have to worry about any bacteria growing on it.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one that I built many years ago in a few minutes.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used two, the Mag-Float and the Tunze. I had good results with both (with metal scraper on the Mag-Float) but the Tunze is so much more forgiving. You cant get sand caught under/in the scrubber of the Tunze so you chances of scratching the tank are reduced exponentially from the traditional design. I've been using it just shy of two years now and have no plans of changing back to the traditional magnetic scrubber.

The only complaint I have regarding the Tunze is that I wish the external grip had a taller profile to make it a little easier to grab hold of. I understand the design was to maintain a low profile aesthetically but since I remove it after each cleaning, it makes no difference for me.

I also have a handheld Kent that I used to get stubborn areas (corners etc.) cleaned up.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you bring it from the sides to the front, doesn't it damage the silicone?
No, provided you don’t go vertically down with the blade side against the glass

When I clean the glass, I firstly run the flipper down the silicone sides, but with the ‘soft side’. I then use the soft side on the main glass areas

What I then do is change to the sharp blade side and go horizontally towards the silicone edges stopping just short of touching them.

If you do it vertically, then as you suggest, there is a high chance you could damage the silicone, which would be, well, not good!

reefpublic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing WE ALL NEED is something that keeps our glass clean! There are many options and tools to accomplish this glass cleaning task but which ones are the best and why? Let the community weigh in!

2. Which tool do you think is the best when it comes to keeping your glass clean?

RTZ34000-2.jpg
Toothbrush
MagFloat
Credit Card scraper
CUC

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the flipper. It's wonderful and so easy. Gives me an enjoyable experience with my aquarium tank mates. My Toby and clowns chase it around

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing WE ALL NEED is something that keeps our glass clean! There are many options and tools to accomplish this glass cleaning task but which ones are the best and why? Let the community weigh in!

RTZ34000-2.jpg

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting used to format....... sorry.
I like the magnetic Flipper, it comes in different sizes, and the blades are fairly easy to change out.

thermoJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some excellent scrapers on AliExpress. Many use the wider razor blade more common in Asia. They are ~$8, including shipping and the ones I got were made of extremely high quality stainless steel. I've had them for a couple years now and there's not even a hint of rust on any parts of them. The razor blades can also be obtained from AliExpress, $8 per 100. I've used all kinds of glass cleaners and these I like the best.

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the algae free for acrylic and glass just remove the blade for acrylic. By far the best cleaner for acrylic or glass are magic erasers. Don’t last super long time but man can they clean.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is not glass ..... it's 1" acrylic. Significantly shortens the list of options. I'm using a mighty magnet cleaner. Very expensive, but also works really well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back