Glass Doors & Open Stands: What are your thoughts?

Do you have an open stand or cabinet with glass doors to show off your equipment area?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • NO not interested

Votes: 193 47.0%
  • NO but I like it

Votes: 110 26.8%
  • Maybe one day

Votes: 44 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 1.9%

• Total voters

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want my DT to appeal to anyone/everyone who sees it. In common areas (living room, kitchen, family room, den, etc.), I don't love the thought of "showcasing" the inner workings. Almost everyone can appreciate a clean and vibrant DT. Non-hobbyists are regularly mesmerized by a nice looking tank with vibrant corals and active, healthy fish. It's like a combination of decorative plants and showpiece furniture that livens up a room.

But showing off the inner workings is a bit too niche in my opinion. I appreciate the hell out of reefers who have sumps that look better than my DT and every controller, display, doser, etc. under the sun mounted and organized without tangling a single wire (where I can't have 3 cords without making a tangled mess), and I don't blame them for wanting to show it off. However, I think the audience that truly appreciates a clean, organized sump and complex-yet-organized electronics and controls is mostly limited to other hobbyists and/or plumbing and gadget geeks. If that's who you want to show off too, then go for it. But for the average family and for showing off to the average crowd, I'm firmly of the belief that all parts of the system should work together to direct all eyes into the DT.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
While I am anal about aesthetics under the stand I would never do glass doors. To each his own, just make it nice.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it so much fun watching the "deer in the headlights" look from the non reefers when they see the inner workings!o_O;Playful That and the fact that heat dissipation is crucially necessary for me.

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the cool equipment and gadgets available these days one trend in the aquarium industry is glass doors and open stands! Clean wiring, colored PVC, LED cabinet lighting and more can make for a complex looking and beautiful equipment cabinet. I personally like it! Let's talk about it!

1. Do you have an open stand or cabinet with glass doors to show off your equipment area?

2. Do you like to keep your sump/equipment area clean and tidy?

Let's see a photo of your open sump/equipment area!

New build images via @Clownreef
Untitled-3 copy.jpg
Mine doesn’t even have doors I just use hang on equipment and storage bins for holding other supplies.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you can say I’m a tease as far as being fully exposed. I would never fully open my sump because it just doesn’t look pretty and I don't want people being distracted and focusing on an open sump. It's the reason I have a plain looking stand painted flat black.....look at the tank, not at my woodworking abilities! But, what I did was leave out door panels where my refugium is located, and the top area of my equipment cabinet.

1628520648722.png

This is simply done by leaving out a panel in the sump door. Here's the door getting a little paint touch-up:

1628520714043.png

The refugium area now is a frag holding area and place for naughty fish or inverts.

The top area of my equipment cabinet, also missing the panel in the door, contains a glass fish about ready to eat a blow fish:

1628520749435.png

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was Smoked Glass, then yes. BTW Has anyone found Self Closing Overlay Hinges in Stainless Steel? Must of put 10 coats of Lacquer on mine and they are still rusting.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...

Not yet completed, but almost. Everything is diy, beside the look, i like to check equipment now and then, and not have to open doors.

Three panels, aluminium frame and plexiglass, still need to be finished, but i'm happy how it turned out.

Pardon the poor pic, dont have better ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_122505~2.jpg
    IMG_20210719_122505~2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 84

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do for my AIO. Not much to show off down there except for my algae reactor.

Attachments

• 57DA96CF-B4E9-4B14-A703-80177E027564.jpeg
    57DA96CF-B4E9-4B14-A703-80177E027564.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 89

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I have a problem with it, but to me this seems like serious overkill. Since when did PVC plumbing become the star of the show?

Tough to keep a sump super clean on a regular basis, and I always thought the star should be what's IN the tank, not what's below it.

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the cool equipment and gadgets available these days one trend in the aquarium industry is glass doors and open stands! Clean wiring, colored PVC, LED cabinet lighting and more can make for a complex looking and beautiful equipment cabinet. I personally like it! Let's talk about it!

1. Do you have an open stand or cabinet with glass doors to show off your equipment area?

2. Do you like to keep your sump/equipment area clean and tidy?

Let's see a photo of your open sump/equipment area!

New build images via @Clownreef
Untitled-3 copy.jpg
I voted no. My sump area is a hot mess! I want people to admire the tank, not get distracted from all the stuff under it.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because it's definitely not to show off and I doubt I'll go as far as glass doors because there are no kids and although I'm heading for 80's cherry and black stereo cabinet, that wasn't the plan either. The plan was ease of access and maintenance and I've also managed essentially silent water flow. Obviously still need to wire manage and finish up vinyl wrapping but that'll be in the next few weeks. Took pictures all along, maybe I'll do a build thread.
IMG_20210809_154240803.jpg
IMG_20210809_154416516.jpg
IMG_20210809_154151755.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh heck no! I get nervous every time we have the reef club meeting at my house and everyone is opening the stand doors to look at the sump/skimmer/ATO reservoir. My sump is functional not for being pretty. ;Smuggrin Who wants to look at chaeto, nasty skimmate and my return pump any way?!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back