Glass Durability - Considering Acrylic for 180 Gallon (Kids)

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done some searching around and unable to find any, even anecdotal, information on durability of glass tanks (and by nature of discussion, acrylic's relative durability). Everyone knows acrylic is "much more durable" or resistant to cracking/breaking on the viewing panel, but how much so? How much force would it really take to break a non-tempered 1/2" panel on a 180 gallon tank, for example? What kinds of scenarios would break it, etc.?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm moving to a new house soon and putting in a 180 gallon tank (moving my 180 into the new tank). I have 3 kids, all under 4 years old. I'm going to build the tank in-wall and only the front viewing panel will be exposed to the basement, which is, at least in part, the kid's play area. Also will be near a pool table.

I'd rather go glass due to cost and scratch resistance, but I'm not sure I'd ever be *sure* the kids wouldn't do something to break it due to an accident, stray toy being thrown, etc. So... just how durable is 1/2" glass? Any opinions? Thanks!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some searching around and unable to find any, even anecdotal, information on durability of glass tanks (and by nature of discussion, acrylic's relative durability). Everyone knows acrylic is "much more durable" or resistant to cracking/breaking on the viewing panel, but how much so? How much force would it really take to break a non-tempered 1/2" panel on a 180 gallon tank, for example? What kinds of scenarios would break it, etc.?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm moving to a new house soon and putting in a 180 gallon tank (moving my 180 into the new tank). I have 3 kids, all under 4 years old. I'm going to build the tank in-wall and only the front viewing panel will be exposed to the basement, which is, at least in part, the kid's play area. Also will be near a pool table.

I'd rather go glass due to cost and scratch resistance, but I'm not sure I'd ever be *sure* the kids wouldn't do something to break it due to an accident, stray toy being thrown, etc. So... just how durable is 1/2" glass? Any opinions? Thanks!
IME, I think its far more likely that a rock falling inside the tank breaks the glass than something on the outside. Now if there a metal or glass table sitting near the tank that could easily be slammed into the glass that could cause a break. But if one of your kids ran head first into the 1/2" glass, I think you'd be fine. (they may not be, ouch! lol)
You can also get 180's in 3/4" glass for a little bit more for peace of mind. Acrylic is a PITA as far as cleaning, and viewing is not the same.
Now in your case, if they start throwing the pool balls around the room or launching them at the holes and one flies into the glass tank, that certainly could break it, if you were able to put the pool balls away somewhere they can not reach them I think you'd be fine.

OP
OP
E

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME, I think its far more likely that a rock falling inside the tank breaks the glass than something on the outside. Now if there a metal or glass table sitting near the tank that could easily be slammed into the glass that could cause a break. But if one of your kids ran head first into the 1/2" glass, I think you'd be fine. (they may not be, ouch! lol)
You can also get 180's in 3/4" glass for a little bit more for peace of mind. Acrylic is a PITA as far as cleaning, and viewing is not the same.
Now in your case, if they start throwing the pool balls around the room or launching them at the holes and one flies into the glass tank, that certainly could break it, if you were able to put the pool balls away somewhere they can not reach them I think you'd be fine.
Thanks for the advice/feedback! You mention the pool balls, which gets me thinking ahead 10-15 years... teenagers playing pool, going a bit wild and the ball flies off the table and into the glass. :oops:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic… no need to even think about… definitely stronger and if the kids ‘accidentally’ scratch the glass tank, it’s permanent!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back