Glass floats.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Family had to move my grandma out of her apartment and into a care facility this week. While moving all of her stuff I found these really old glass fishing bouy floats. Thinking of some way I can incorporate them into my tank somehow. Even if I just drill a hole and sink them I think they would be a nice addition. Anyway. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. The smallest float is around the size of a tennis ball. Biggest is soccer ball size.
FA64CC8A-9BA9-419F-9E63-6262EC8E8EF1.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool.....but unfortunately they are just going to be quickly covered with algae. Maybe if you threw some encrusting coral on them? They would look cool completely encrusted over.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how big your tank is, so that is something to consider.

I don't know that you would be able to drill them without breaking them.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Family had to move my grandma out of her apartment and into a care facility this week. While moving all of her stuff I found these really old glass fishing bouy floats. Thinking of some way I can incorporate them into my tank somehow. Even if I just drill a hole and sink them I think they would be a nice addition. Anyway. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. The smallest float is around the size of a tennis ball. Biggest is soccer ball size.
FA64CC8A-9BA9-419F-9E63-6262EC8E8EF1.jpeg

You would need to use a diamond blade and a wet drill, but being “art glass” they are going to be annealed, not tempered, so drilling should be fine as long as you have the proper tools to do so.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to use a diamond blade and a wet drill, but being “art glass” they are going to be annealed, not tempered, so drilling should be fine as long as you have the proper tools to do so.

Won't they be thin and delicate?

I would think it will take the right tools in the hands of a person with a surgeon's touch.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't they be thin and delicate?

I would think it will take the right tools in the hands of a person with a surgeon's touch.
Not really. Glass is a lot tougher than people give it credit for.
just go slow and use a lot of water for lubrication and you should be fine.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently have a 240 gal in the works. And that is what these would go in. It’s a ways down the road though. It would be cool to keep the smaller ones still able to float somehow? Not just floating free but attached to rock work or something.
the glass is pretty thick, they were originally used to float fishing nets in Japan in the 1940-1950’s before they switched to cork and styrofoam (from what I have read)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back