Glass Heater Broken. EMERGENCY Water Change???

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
So, the title says it all haha. One of my glass heaters failed and I'm wondering if I should do an emergency water change. All of my corals (Pulsing Xenia, Mushrooms and GSP) looks well except for the GSP which is not completely opened (approx 70% of it is opened).
I'm worried that this is time sensitive so I would really appreciate some help ASAP, thanks!! :)

Pulsing Xenia
Mushroom Corals
GSP
3 Mexican Turbos
A bit of Chaeto in the Sump

Skimmer OFF since last month because of low nutrients (finally getting better btw)

Ammonia: 0 (API test kit)
Nitrite: 0 (API test kit)
Nitrate: 15 (API test kit)
Phosphates: undetectable (Salifert Test kit)
Kh: 8.0 (Salifert Test kit)
Temp: 24.5-25.0 ºc
Salinity: 1.024-1.023 (Refractometer)

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the crack let water in or was exposing the metal components for an extended period of time I would do a decent amount (30-40%) water change depending on the size of the tank. The main thing I would be concerned about would be any long term exposure of any copper or other metallic components.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the crack let water in or was exposing the metal components for an extended period of time I would do a decent amount (30-40%) water change depending on the size of the tank. The main thing I would be concerned about would be any long term exposure of any copper or other metallic components.
Sorry for taking so long to answer, I was eating for the first time in 24hrs.
The crack DID let the water in for a few hours and the water inside it looked very bad. Weirdly enough the GSP looks better right now. I'm hesitant to do the water change because I've been battling zero nutrientes for a month or so, should I still do it?? The crack was about 0.5cm long

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for taking so long to answer, I was eating for the first time in 24hrs.
The crack DID let the water in for a few hours and the water inside it looked very bad. Weirdly enough the GSP looks better right now. I'm hesitant to do the water change because I've been battling zero nutrientes for a month or so, should I still do it?? The crack was about 0.5cm long
Likely no harm, do an icp test to check if you'd like.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely no harm, do an icp test to check if you'd like.
Sadly, since I live in Mexico I'm not able to do an ICP test but thanks anyways, it was a good idea
If I do not perform the water change what's the worst thing that could happened?
Any specific test I should run?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, since I live in Mexico I'm not able to do an ICP test but thanks anyways, it was a good idea
If I do not perform the water change what's the worst thing that could happened?
Any specific test I should run?
If something looks bad, perhaps some copper or other metal leached out. I think polyfilter may remove metals.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Most likely you will be fine. What heater was it? Some have safeties built in just in case the glass breaks that it will not contaminate the water.

If you have carbon I would run that for sure. If you see any changes happening a water change would be a good idea and like pistondog said, poly-filter pulls out metals and will show which metal it is sometI RS

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something looks bad, perhaps some copper or other metal leached out. I think polyfilter may remove metals.
I just did a quick search on it and it says that it removes all phosphates so it would be as "bad" as a water change for me

Water change
Got it!
Hi,

Most likely you will be fine. What heater was it? Some have safeties built in just in case the glass breaks that it will not contaminate the water.

If you have carbon I would run that for sure. If you see any changes happening a water change would be a good idea and like pistondog said, poly-filter pulls out metals and will show which metal it is sometI RS
It was a 35w "Acuario Lomas" (Mexican brand) heater that I doubt had any sort of safety in it, what would the safety look like?

Could it be disastrous if I wait until tomorrow to see how things develop in order to avoid dropping my phosphate even more?

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo of the 15w version

Attachments

• FL7732_L.png
    FL7732_L.png
    178 KB · Views: 36

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not want to guarantee it will be fine. If it was my tank I would (and have) pull the heater and throw in carbon. Most times would be ok.

BUT who knows how your heater was built. So it is a variable to consider.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that whole heater submerged or just the glass. If glass only I would not worry about it, but run carbon.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that whole heater submerged or just the glass. If glass only I would not worry about it, but run carbon.
Just the glass and it looks like all the contaminated water stayed inside of the heater even when I pulled it out.
I'm still a newbie so sorry for the question haha but what adverse effects would I have by running carbon? How long should I run it?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noobie or advanced we all have questions. Otherwise this would be a boring forum.

If just glass there should not be any issues. There are just the 2 bimetallic strips / heating elements in there. The water got in and probably shorted them causing the black colored water/smoke.

Any trace elements that may have come off the strips should be removed by carbon (depending on the elements). Carbon will not affect your tank. Some run it for a day or two to clear up water, others all the time.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noobie or advanced we all have questions. Otherwise this would be a boring forum.

If just glass there should not be any issues. There are just the 2 bimetallic strips / heating elements in there. The water got in and probably shorted them causing the black colored water/smoke.

Any trace elements that may have come off the strips should be removed by carbon (depending on the elements). Carbon will not affect your tank. Some run it for a day or two to clear up water, others all the time.
That's exactly what happened except that the water inside it it's not black but actually brownish.
Would you say that 24hrs of carbon is enough?
I hate that this happened exactly when I was finally starting to get my parameters exactly where I wanted them hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_192434.jpg
    IMG_20210928_192434.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 27

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. That is normal. This should not change anything that is going on in your tank. If the heater was not full of water chances are nothing even got into the tank.

That said, check Ph and Alk. Those would be my concern if any.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, maybe I don't even need the carbon after all? :)
It wasn't 100% full and I didn't saw any water coming out of it when I removed it

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, maybe I don't even need the carbon after all? :)
It wasn't 100% full and I didn't saw any water coming out of it when I removed it
If it was not 100% full of water, or the crack and the water level in the heater tube were both under water than most likely nothing even got in the tank. Depends on where the crack was.

OP
OP
J

Jackmot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crack was at the very bottom, right where my finger is in the photo

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back