Glass (MH/T5) vs plastic (LED) is the subject of the moment!

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to believe age and health of biodiversity acts as just as effective of a buffer against coral mortality as quality halide light will. That has been my only experience though. You’ve been at this longer than me. I’ve killed an embarrassing number of corals from zoas on up to acropora under metal halides. Xm10k and radiums alike. Corals that grew prolific in the same tank where the only thing that changed was time, to share the adjective. Actually adding some real ocean harvested rock was a big turning point

I didn't have any of my colonies died under LEDs when I was using them here. The zoanthids were growing within it's acceptable speed.
The truth of the matter is that ANY failure could kill corals.
Yes, mturation of the system is your best friend, of course.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have any of my colonies died under LEDs when I was using them here. The zoanthids were growing within it's acceptable speed.
The truth of the matter is that ANY failure could kill corals.
Yes, mturation of the system is your best friend, of course.

Make no mistake. I loved my halides. Don’t mistake my sentiments. System age has been so crucial to my tanks. That’s why with my present tank, while I did use all dry rock, I seeded it and cured with algae scrubber for two full years in the dark using seeded media from my 10 year old tank. Is it the same? No. But better than dry rock just being treated with a bottle of bacteria. Ended up somewhere in between (I hope). Still a working opinion. Haven’t tried any tester sps yet

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make no mistake. I loved my halides. Don’t mistake my sentiments. System age has been so crucial to my tanks. That’s why with my present tank, while I did use all dry rock, I seeded it and cured with algae scrubber for two full years in the dark using seeded media from my 10 year old tank. Is it the same? No. But better than dry rock just being treated with a bottle of bacteria. Ended up somewhere in between (I hope). Still a working opinion. Haven’t tried any tester sps yet
You shouldn't "seed rocks in the dark" in order to get the system mature. That is a mistake. It will develop the proper microbial bioload only under "nomal circumstances" (normal photoperiod). Bacterial population changes a bit every time you add anything with a different strain into the system. It's a long term process of balance. There are way too many variables too. Time is what the system needs to establish balance.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't "seed rocks in the dark" in order to get the system mature. That is a mistake. It will develop the proper microbial bioload only under "nomal circumstances" (normal photoperiod). Bacterial population changes a bit every time you add anything with a different strain into the system. It's a long term process of balance. There are way too many variables too. Time is what the system needs to establish balance.

Don’t want to derail your thread further so I’ll leave the topic alone, but that’s not exactly an accurate interpretation of my process. You glossed over some points

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want to derail your thread further so I’ll leave the topic alone, but that’s not exactly an accurate interpretation of my process. You glossed over some points
What I understood was that you transferred some sort of seeded media (like ceramic media, with bacteria) from a 10 year old system to a new system to "seed", and installed an ATS on this new system, but the display tank didn't have it's main lights on for about 2 years with the ATS running. And I answered that if you had the main lights on during those 2 years it would be much better/faster.
Feel free to send me PM, if you wish to continue the conversation. No worries. I've got so many PMs already... it's basically an every day job. LOL!
But, yes, time is the key for proper maturation in ANY natural system.
Always great to talk to you!
Cheers!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foot in both camps.

On my clam and carpet anemone tank, I want minimal obstruction for top down viewing, and due to the living room placement I needed something with no light spill outside of the tank. LEDs let me do this, especially because clams and carpets don’t shade each other, so it works well.

On my ELOS 200XL, 2x250w halide + 4x24w T5 Giesemann Spectras for SPS (and of course, some more clams). Btw, Giesemann will build/ship worldwide If you order directly from them. I love the look and coverage of halides ever since I first started using them ~20 years ago.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass vs. plastic. Hmm. Do you think that maybe plasma-based vs. solid-state semiconductor would be a more accurate description of the light sources? LEDs aren't plastic, and the encapsulant is generally silicone-based.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass vs. plastic. Hmm. Do you think that maybe plasma-based vs. solid-state semiconductor would be a more accurate description of the light sources? LEDs aren't plastic, and the encapsulant is generally silicone-based.
You have absolutely nothing else better to do in your life than for searching for threads with metal halides and dig in them. How old are you, kid?
Merry Christmas lights to you. LOL!
All you are doing here is to provoke metal halide users. Shame on you!
Ps. I actually reported this post so the mods could see it.

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have absolutely nothing else better to do in your life than for searching for threads with metal halides and dig in them. How old are you, kid?
Merry Christmas lights to you. LOL!
All you are doing here is to provoke metal halide users. Shame on you!
No, I saw the thread title in a SIMILAR THREADS list and decided to see what it was all about. Still, I think you'd agree that comparing glass to plastic is an attempt to make LEDs appear as toys vs "real" lights. I'm not insulting your beloved halides. I'm just noticing the apparent bias (challenge) in the thread title. You first. How old are you?

You still owe us pics of the SPS in your office, BTW.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I saw the thread title in a SIMILAR THREADS list and decided to see what it was all about. Still, I think you'd agree that comparing glass to plastic is an attempt to make LEDs appear as toys vs "real" lights. I'm not insulting your beloved halides. I'm just noticing the apparent bias (challenge) in the thread title. You first. How old are you?

You still owe us pics of the SPS in your office, BTW.
Sorry, man you already passed the limits here with me and other metal halide/T5 users and I choose not to drop the level any more than I did with my last post. Have fun making mess... you have lots of time for this right now. I don't!
Polycarbonate is a type of plastic!

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to thread ban and then site ban instigators and troublemakers. Enough.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back