Glass OCD

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken down tanks because of a scratch on the glass. It bothers me that much. My current 100g developed a large streak on the glass right down the middle. I'm about to take this thing down and my wife is calling me crazy. When I sit to look at the tank the streak just stares me down. I can't enjoy the tank.
I visited a local reefer with a huge crack on the corner of his tank and he just patched it up with another piece of glass and moved on. I've seen tanks completely scratched up and the owners don't care.

Does anyone else have this sort of OCD? Are imperfections with the glass something we can live with?

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did replace a tank because of scratches on the front pane, but I was already moving so I would have had to take it all down anyway. $300 seemed worth it to replace. But on a bigger tank? I don't know. Would it bug me? 100%!

I am crazy careful cleaning my glass now.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some scratches using my flipper, I suppose I picked up some sand while suing it... I just happened over the weekend so I am trying to get over it. :frowning-face: Yes I have to be more careful.
Don't be so sure it was from the sand....I have scratched two different BB tanks using the Flipper. Only thing I can assume is it happens during the flipping procedure.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some scratches using my flipper, I suppose I picked up some sand while suing it... I just happened over the weekend so I am trying to get over it. :frowning-face: Yes I have to be more careful.

Don't be so sure it was from the sand....I have scratched two different BB tanks using the Flipper. Only thing I can assume is it happens during the flipping procedure.
100% on the flipper. never using them again. I am very careful about not picking up sand, but managed to scratch my brand new tank with them. I switched to tunze algae care. Much better and no chance of scratching unless you pick up sand.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you can polish out very lite scratches and scuffs with baking soda and water paste.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken down tanks because of a scratch on the glass. It bothers me that much. My current 100g developed a large streak on the glass right down the middle. I'm about to take this thing down and my wife is calling me crazy. When I sit to look at the tank the streak just stares me down. I can't enjoy the tank.
I visited a local reefer with a huge crack on the corner of his tank and he just patched it up with another piece of glass and moved on. I've seen tanks completely scratched up and the owners don't care.

Does anyone else have this sort of OCD? Are imperfections with the glass something we can live with?
Live with it.
Glass is for your viewing pleasure :)
As long as fish/invertebrate are surviving, just scrub with magnetic algae scrubber

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can polish out very lite scratches and scuffs with baking soda and water paste.
Does this really work? I really can’t drain the whole tank down. The scratch is near the top so can I do it when doing a water change? Will it be ok if any gets in the water? My flipper caused a few scratches and it’s driving me crazy. I’m never letting any magnet cleaner near my tank again.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back