Glass tank existing hole cover/repair question

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to pick up a tank that's new for a good deal but the catch is that it's got some monster size holes drilled into it (2.5").

Would a simple silicone job with glass panels fix this? I'll be doing it on both sides of the panels and have someone cut out a 2.5" disk to put in place between the panels.

Tank is 3/4" thick. 60X24x24"

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It most likely will leak. You could get a bulkhead fitting that size and just seal it off.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, glass panels with a bunch of silicone, that'll set ya right up no worries. Just like puttin a glass tank together, wont' leak and can't break the seals.

OP
OP
ReeferEric

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, glass panels with a bunch of silicone, that'll set ya right up no worries. Just like puttin a glass tank together, wont' leak and can't break the seals.

I was just trying to get a firm confirmation on how to. I've already had the fix in mind but wanted to see others advice. Do you think 1/4" on both sides of the panel/hole will be sufficent? I am considering getting 2.5" glass disk to put between the two pieces of glass and use a good amount of silicone to encase it all.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 should be enough, just make sure there is a ridiculous amount of overlap, thats going to be your seal and bond.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this exact repair on the bottom of my old 200. I drilled new holes where I needed them, placed the glass cut outs from the new holes into the old holes and used 1/4" plate glass on both sides of the repair. Siliconed the heck out of it on both sides. It was rock solid for years and never leaked a bit.

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4" glass is plenty. no need to plug the drilled holes with anything. no need to put anything on the underside. Inside the tank, Silicone multiple complete circles around the holes, then silicone an area just under the size of the glass plate. Put plate on top, apply some pressure directly downward to compress the glass. excess silicone will spew out, wipe it up. Let let for 2 days before filling with water.

Make sure to use aquarium safe silicone.

OP
OP
ReeferEric

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up passing on the tank. A friend told me flat out, not worth the trouble and risk of a leak later on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back