Glass vs Acrylic for aquarium lid

rfarson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon aquarium and the glass lid is kind of a hassle. It is a Fish only with live rock aquarium. I've seen a few acrylic lids - does acrylic allow better light penetration and offer any other benefits?

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember hearing somewhere that glass is like 80 something percent clear while acrylic is 97 or 98 percent clear. or something like that!

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acrylic is great until it gets dirty. with the calcium that is going to stick to the lid it is easier to clean glass. once the acrylic gets scratched from cleaning it has a haze and wont let light threw as well
personally I like glass so much easier to just scrape with a razor blade and it wont warp

Last edited:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote neither, get the clear mesh from BRS and make a screen lid. It's easy to make and the best option IMHO.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you need a lid, go with the screen lid from BRS. It will allow much more light to get through and still allow for the O2 exchange with the surface agitation.

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the screen, easy to make, doesn't get as dirty as the glass or acrylic and easy to spray off with the hose to clean

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen all the way... Glass is heavy and bulky and acrylic will warp like who dun it!! Both block light and gasses like mentioned.... Mesh is the only way to go..;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the link to bulk reef supply "brs" you need that mesh... You will need to go to home depot or lowes etc and buy a window screen frame with the 4 corner pieces ad make a frame to fit your tank... Once you done that you put the mesh in there instead of window screen and your golden... I'm sure there is YouTube videos and plenty of threads showing how to make one if you need help... Or just ask here I'll be more than glad to help....
Clear 1/4" Screen Netting 6.5' x 2.5' - English

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back