OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to worry about high ph of those? With diy cement rocks they need to be soaked for months in fresh water and changed daily to bring the ph down.
No i don't.
Saltwater is different than freshwater. The PH may rise a little, but nothing to worry about.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i don't.
Saltwater is different than freshwater. The PH may rise a little, but nothing to worry about.
Hmm. Its made of cement or epoxy? In my experience the ph of cement rocks would go to 10 and up.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ENG:
Exciting!
With the frag700reef I finally have the confidence in fullLED to get the last 8x T5 tubes out.
Replaced 8x54 watt T5 for 4x54 watt LED strips
There were already 7x54watt LED strips in it, now the total is 11x54watt.

The total power consumption goes from 950 watts to 750 watts

I am not completely satisfied yet, but that will be because the corals still has to adjust to the new lighting. In the near future I will be playing with different color combinations to get the most out of this reef.

0b8bdd2af9f0622ba53a35dbad0121c4.jpg

5ce3f4405c4a55d4982a624eeb710305.jpg

c7a22fae5d4ea4d10b100927f8f5e88f.jpg

20f6760641684e1ab7f941015d0dee98.jpg

a0149594c5c0e522cf80037e5eabb4a3.jpg
@Kyle Sproul for your next build :)

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see more detail about your light build. I built a few small lights using leds from rapidled and banggood but always wanted to do something bigger and useful! I'm not an electrical engineer but I can solder and copy what others have proved work.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post more details about the leds and drivers and diffusion glass? And other parts you use pls. Unless you already have ...
Technicals:
Powersupply : 48volts,10 ampere
Single string : 14 leds
Current Regulators : LM317 with 2,7ohm (loopback) resistor for constant current of ~350mA = 1watt/led. One for each string. 3 per strip.
3strings per 2500mm length = 3x14W= 52watts consumption per ledstrip
Protection/bypass: 3,3volt zener over each led.
Mounting/cooling: Aluminium square profiles. Length per strip 2500mm, measures material 20x20x1,5mm.
Wiring: 18AWG cables.
LED used: Epileds 3 watt,
Colors: 445nm/465nm/6600kelvin/10K/red/green. (Up to your own preference of corals demand)
The Blue's are essential. The colors and white have a support function and are also there to please your eyes.

Last edited:

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's made of cement
Did you test the concrete with fresh or saltwater?
Did you place is into a life tank, or just soaked it into a small amount of water.
When using portland cement, your supposed to soak the rock in freshwater for months until the high ph 10+ goes down to 8. Then its safe to use. Your supposed to change the freshwater daily or weekly until the ph drops to 8 and stays there. Otherwise it would kill everything. Ive never tried soaking in saltwater as that would waste it, no? If i remember right its the calcium hydroxide in the cement causing this. There was big threads about these rocks called diy arocrete rocks. People hated waiting months for the high ph to come down.

Maybe you have low ph cement? Ive heard of that before.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using portland cement, your supposed to soak the rock in freshwater for months until the high ph 10+ goes down to 8. Then its safe to use. Your supposed to change the freshwater daily or weekly until the ph drops to 8 and stays there. Otherwise it would kill everything. Ive never tried soaking in saltwater as that would waste it, no? If i remember right its the calcium hydroxide in the cement causing this. There was big threads about these rocks called diy arocrete rocks. People hated waiting months for the high ph to come down.

Maybe you have low ph cement? Ive heard of that before.
Matured Saltwater reacts different the PH would not be affected drasticly and nothing will die in a life tank. (Unless you put a unrealistic massive amount of concrete scaping at once)
I.e. 7,9 could be raised to 8,2 but it would stay put.
It will never go beyond 8,5 because you will get precipitation.
Even that could be easily managed with the DSR.....
Just measure and adjust it using the calculator

We are not that afraid of some slight fluctuation in Kh/Ca because now we can control it all.

As I said before... The dynamics of saltwater is very different the freshwater. So forget about the freshwater theories.

Note:
In freshwater the PH will rise and everything will die....

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found epileds 3w on AliExpress for ~1$. Is it any good ? Where did you buy yours pls? Did you use optics like diffuser or lens ?
You can get from them from 10-16cent
I use various suppliers. Some are garbage some are OK.

No optics used. They spoil everything, i prefer wide spread light .
A diffusor ca be used but that wil flatten the light and the shimmering experience.
You may use a 2mm acrylic plate to protect the leds or sandblast it slightly to make a diffusor. If you have a lasercutter you may even create a diffusion pattern.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matured Saltwater reacts different the PH would not be affected drasticly and nothing will die in a life tank. (Unless you put a unrealistic massive amount of concrete scaping at once)
I.e. 7,9 could be raised to 8,2 but it would stay put.
It will never go beyond 8,5 because you will get precipitation.
Even that could be easily managed with the DSR.....
Just measure and adjust it using the calculator

We are not that afraid of some slight fluctuation in Kh/Ca because now we can control it all.

As I said before... The dynamics of saltwater is very different the freshwater. So forget about the freshwater theories.

Note:
In freshwater the PH will rise and everything will die....
You sure it isnt hydraulic cement? That would make more sense to me. That cement apparently doesn't rise the ph much at all.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it isnt hydraulic cement? That would make more sense to me. That cement apparently doesn't rise the ph much at all.
Don't worry to much about the PH.
It's Portland cement and the PH in saltwater is not affected as much as you would expect

Try It yourself on a bucket old saltwater from your WC and report back.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the build and shematics for the full Led fixture

Technicals:
OuterSize 249,5x70x10xm
Powersupply : 2x 48volts,10 ampere (used at max.400watt)
Single string : 14 leds
Current Regulators : LM317 with 2,7ohm (loopback) resistor for constant current of ~350mA = 1watt/led. One for each string. 3 per strip. = total 33 (11x3)
3strings per 2500mm length = 3x14W= 52watts consumption per ledstrip
Total Ledbars: 11
Total leds: 11x(14x3) =462pcs
Protection/bypass: 3,3volt zener over each led.
Mounting/cooling: passive cooling, Aluminium square profiles. Length per strip 2495mm, measures material 20x20x1,5mm.
LED spacing: 5,6cm
Wiring: 18AWG cables.
LED used: Epileds 3 watt,
Optics: none
Colors: 445nm/465nm/6500kelvin/10K/red/green. (Up to your own preference, or corals demand)
The Blue's are essential. The colors and white have a support function and are also there to please your eyes.
Dim function: NONE, each bar may be turn on/off separately.
Efficiency: very high

This is a cheap, easy, straightforward and functional diy build.

The cooling is passive and the aluminium bars are without cooling ribs. By distancing the leds 5,6cm apart the temperature wil stay below 50 degrees Celsius at 23 degrees room temperature.
Active cooling is not necessary but optional.

Warning:
DIY with electronics and electricity requires basis electric education/skills. Don't attempt building these without basic electric skills. This may cause electrocution or firehazard.

Happy reefing

8716c9fd7c797f28dbb8dab6c4a4d771.jpg

9ab249eaff02a2f60e14d83ab0d22248.jpg
7d2751cb11aba531e869fc779f24bc13.jpg
8ccf4225f8c359aa352862bc4abf7a26.jpg
d00dc14c3806cef0ec8a1f2e87d3535b.jpg

Last edited:

dadarara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Glenn
Truly appreciate you sharing
If I may..
I don’t see you use the capacitor only resistor ...?
And the main question is , how do you simulate the daily light change ? The only option is to switch the strings one by one. This is what you are doing ? Manually ?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Glenn
Truly appreciate you sharing
If I may..
I don’t see you use the capacitor only resistor ...?
And the main question is , how do you simulate the daily light change ? The only option is to switch the strings one by one. This is what you are doing ? Manually ?
The capacitor stablizes local voltage. This may make a difference when your powersupply and wiring are not optimal. For this application i see no real benefit. But to make sure maybe i will add them.

Yes i am using a 3× cheap timer swithes to turn them on in 3 phases.
You are of course free to modify them partially to dim the first/last few minutes/hour
My experience is the more you complicate the design the more chance of failure.

This is above all a functional and redundant design. This way I can keep spares and I am always on top op things. Don't need to rely on the supply chain and uncooperative Suppliers while my corals are dying.

Last edited:

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the growth of the led tank comparing to t5s? Do you know why corals get white growth tips and dont? Is it high verus low po4?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back