Glueing Glass / Plastic Lid

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simple marineland glass lid with a plastic hinge. Every time I have pushed the glass back in the grove in the hinge it has pulled out. What type of adhesive can I use to glue them back together?

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure - it might not take much. but i think aquarium silicone would be good. Few things will stick to glass.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the right sized hinge? There are two that I know of. If you use the thinner one, with too thick glass it gets ruined. Use the thick one on thin glass, it won’t hold. I had glass that was slightly thicker than the hinge. I heated the glass with a hair drier, then poured boiling water down the hinge. Snapped it on, before anything could cool. It would be very difficult, to pull that hinge, off of the glass. Also there are at least two different sizes of back strip, as far as glass thickness.

OP
OP
FullSend

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the right sized hinge? There are two that I know of. If you use the thinner one, with too thick glass it gets ruined. Use the thick one on thin glass, it won’t hold. I had glass that was slightly thicker than the hinge. I heated the glass with a hair drier, then poured boiling water down the hinge. Snapped it on, before anything could cool. It would be very difficult, to pull that hinge, off of the glass. Also there are at least two different sizes of back strip, as far as glass thickness.
The hinge and the glass came as a set and one piece. I'm not sure how the glass became separated from the hinge.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marineland/Perfecto, All Glass, Aqueon have either a 1/8” or 3/16” glass tops. Measure the glass with Calipers or take part of the top to a glass shop, and have them measure the glass. I personally can’t tell with a ruler. I prefer the more robust All Glass Hinges. You will have to notch the Hinges on the underside at each end, so it will lay flat. I use a coping saw to do this or a 32 tooth Hacksaw blade. Also the small #13, #27 X acto saw blades can be used. X acto Razor Saw set is good too. Do not use the cheap clear Hinges on Amazon.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back