Glueing pvc in a sump on a running tank

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I usually wait about a hour before using fresh glued pvc on a running tank.
I've seen people wait as little as 5 minutes and others wait as much as 24 hours.

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this for a part in my display tank. I let it dry and then placed it directly into my tank and filled with water after about 10-15 minutes. I haven't noticed any ill effects from the PVC glue. It was dry to touch before adding water.

At this same time I did try using some aquarium safe silicone as a temporary fix to try and seal 2 pipes I wasn't ready to permanently seal. I used the silicone and then added water after about 10-15 minutes. The silicone did not have time to dry/cure properly and I don't even think it sealed properly. Now I am worrying if I just introduced a bunch of silicone into my system (would it turn into silicates and lead to a diatom bloom)?

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did make sure to change out my carbon to some fresh stuff when I did this change. I also used roughly twice the amount of carbon I usually do. Thought process was if anything was released that the carbon would absorb it. Maybe so Maybe not but it was worth the piece of mind.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back