Glueing pvc in a sump on a running tank

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I usually wait about a hour before using fresh glued pvc on a running tank.
I've seen people wait as little as 5 minutes and others wait as much as 24 hours.

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this for a part in my display tank. I let it dry and then placed it directly into my tank and filled with water after about 10-15 minutes. I haven't noticed any ill effects from the PVC glue. It was dry to touch before adding water.

At this same time I did try using some aquarium safe silicone as a temporary fix to try and seal 2 pipes I wasn't ready to permanently seal. I used the silicone and then added water after about 10-15 minutes. The silicone did not have time to dry/cure properly and I don't even think it sealed properly. Now I am worrying if I just introduced a bunch of silicone into my system (would it turn into silicates and lead to a diatom bloom)?

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did make sure to change out my carbon to some fresh stuff when I did this change. I also used roughly twice the amount of carbon I usually do. Thought process was if anything was released that the carbon would absorb it. Maybe so Maybe not but it was worth the piece of mind.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back