Gluing PVC to hard plumb your tank! | BRStv How-To

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Today's a quick one on how to glue PVC with some tricks to properly using primer and cement, as well as some tips to making sure your dry-fitted mockup fits perfectly after gluing! :)

Watch for more episodes coming out throughout the rest of the week, as we have a few of these sitting on the back burner! ;)

Ted_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job and great tips. Often times I see hobbyists only use glue on one side of the fitting (incorrect). Another good tip in the video: the primer softens the pipe and allows the glue to work. Don't pre-primer pipe and let it sit for more than a few minutes.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice video!

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rain-r-shine from lowes. As per the manufacturer, you dont need to prime it.
ec635991-345f-4761-99d9-bec4e8aabbe6_600.jpg

fbodykiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use clear primer instead of hideous purple primer. This primer will clean the ink off of white fittings so you have no markings. Just a few useful tips.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
Gotta love BRS videos and supplies available and customer service. Yea I'm a BRS fan lol.
Watched their old video a few times prior to building my manifold and it came out great for some one who has never messed with plumbing before.

That was a year ago added two reactors and all lines are PVC now. I got hooked.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone might find this helpful. This is the way I mark my joints when dry fitting my PVC & fittings. I use painter's tape across both fittings and number the joints, so they can be reassembled easily when gluing up. Once the joint is glued in place, simply remove the tape.

Plumbing.jpg

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts of BRS carrying the pvc fittings in black?
I prefer not to see the plumbing and use black pipe and fittings. It would be great to order all of my parts from BRS as I can get them delivered the very next day.

And I also use the painter's tape trick; although I use the same number on both of the pieces making the connection. ;)

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts of BRS carrying the pvc fittings in black?
I prefer not to see the plumbing and use black pipe and fittings. It would be great to order all of my parts from BRS as I can get them delivered the very next day.

And I also use the painter's tape trick; although I use the same number on both of the pieces making the connection. ;)
Black is usually ABS not pvc. Do they make actual PVC in black?

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have trouble dry fitting PVC? It is designed to have an interference fit and I could not get mine fully seated dry. Had to rely on the measuring tape because each joint was at least 1/4" from being seated. I used schedule 80 fittings and schedule 40 pipe.

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the best luck with medium clear pvc cement, (no primer) it literally melts the pvc together. Any time I have used primer the pressure blows the fittings apart as soon as I close a ball valve temporarily

Ted_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the process the same using spa-flex pvc?
For flex PVC (Spa PVC) - instead of primer you should use cleaner on the Flex PVC. Primer will over-soften flex PVC. If your joining it to regular PVC fittings, the regular PVC fittings should still use regular primer + glue.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back