Gluing Wet Rock? Disaster...

Nahno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, any recommendations of glue or anything that can be used wet to stick live rock together? I tried coralcrete from seachem and it didn’t work at all...it was an epic fail. I’m nervous to let the rock sit out and cure because the tank is only 2 months old and I don’t want the bacteria to die and crash the system. I do have 2 clownfish, a benggai Cardinal, 1 hermit crab, 1 Kenya tree and one favia. The tank is a 65 gallon. I put most of the original live rock back in there but the rest that I bought is currently in just sealed buckets of salt water. Drilling sounds very helpful but unfortunately isn’t really an option for me. Any tips, tricks or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use JB Waterweld to stabilize some of my rocks. It won't permanently fix them together but will allow you to brace them well enough so that they won't tumble. Within a few weeks it will be covered in growth and blend in perfectly with the rest of your rocks.

I am not a fan at all of making permanent masses of rock. You WILL need to get in/around/behind the rockwork in the future and if it is one big solid mass that will be more than a little difficult.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla glue super glue. Gel style. Works better under water lol.
I would beg to disagree. I don’t know if this was just my experience or the bottle I got but it sucked in water like crazy and ruined my bottle when I used it. Not saying you’re wrong but just watch out for the type of bottle you use.
I glued all my rocks underwater with BRS Extra Thick Glue in the 20g tube. Doesn’t suck in air and is pretty affordable. If there’s one thing to take away it you’re gluing rocks underwater, get a tube glue that doesn’t suck in water. Based on what you have said I’m assuming you’re gluing underwater but I would agree that if you were gluing outside of water that super glue gel would be your best bet.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a Bulk Reef Supply video on the different glues they have. Any of the super thick gels work in a tube, not bottle, should work under water. The tubes don’t suck water back into the dispenser.

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would beg to disagree. I don’t know if this was just my experience or the bottle I got but it sucked in water like crazy and ruined my bottle when I used it. Not saying you’re wrong but just watch out for the type of bottle you use.
I glued all my rocks underwater with BRS Extra Thick Glue in the 20g tube. Doesn’t suck in air and is pretty affordable. If there’s one thing to take away it you’re gluing rocks underwater, get a tube glue that doesn’t suck in water. Based on what you have said I’m assuming you’re gluing underwater but I would agree that if you were gluing outside of water that super glue gel would be your best bet.
The metal tube of glue won’t suck in water. I use it underwater all the time.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterweld is great, but it's not going to hold 2 wet rocks together without the aid of superglue and gravity or additional support until cured.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterweld is great, but it's not going to hold 2 wet rocks together without the aid of superglue and gravity or additional support until cured.
I agree. Hold it in place for the 2-3 minutes it takes for it to set up a bit.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to waste your money with a BRS product. No Mortar needed, no special BRS glue...
All you need is a thin CA superglue, and baking soda - creates an instant cement style weld ... no special sprays (what BS!!)

Yes, you can work with wet rock using this method.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back