GMK Care requirements? Prevent Infection?

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

Just bought a frag of GMK zoanthids. Best care requirement recommendations? I heard they are prone to melting as well. Any tips on how to prevent that? Is it an infection that causes this to happen? I might keep off the sand bed. Interested in your thoughts.
Happy Reefing!

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my single head back in early December, grew to five polyps in less then a month. I think if you keep a regular maintenance schedule, and parameters inline, they should be fine.

These are currently on a Frag rack about 4” under the water line.
4E376DC1-A820-4CEC-97E0-A6ACDDE017A1.jpeg

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one polyp, which eventually grew to 11, then entirely melted within a month (no changes to lights, schedule or anything).. still not too sure what caused it. Everything else is growing fine. Just keep detritus off them along with typical maintenance. Mine liked PAR around 90-100

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one polyp, which eventually grew to 11, then entirely melted within a month (no changes to lights, schedule or anything).. still not too sure what caused it. Everything else is growing fine. Just keep detritus off them along with typical maintenance. Mine liked PAR around 90-100
Was your colony on the sand bed ?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Gmks are best described as an unstable weed. I’ve had them on and off after initially avoiding them.

Best sustained success came under lower par as @RedFrog211 mentioned, stable parameters (no surprise) and I’d suggest keeping a bottle of lugols and a vial of metroplex on hand… they look at you sideways even once just dip them immediately.

Also, just my observation but I suspect they are more susceptible to bacterial and protozoan issues (which likely kills more zoas that most hobbyists realize). If you can, quarantine stuff.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back