Gobi near the end of his life

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would document the life of one of my favorite fish. This gobi has been with me for I think about 12 years. When I got him he looked like the first picture. Yellow and skinny. As he grew a little I bought another one and they became inseperable. After a few months, they turned grayish brown and developed bright blue spots all over him and became almost colorful. After a few years they started to spawn and kept spawning all their life until the female died last year at about 11 years old.
The male who is just over 4" continued to be healthy until last week when I noticed he did not come out to eat and I had to feed him in his cave. Then I practically had to hand feed him and this morning, before the lights came on, I noticed him sleeping in the front of the tank. This fish never came to the front so I knew the end was near. Today he is refusing his favorite meal of clam even if I put it right in his mouth. I am pretty sure he is also blind.
I am not sure how long gobies live but I am quite sure this one is dying of old age. He has no paracites, torn fins or cloudy eyes and he can swim.
Except for the fact, he is no longer eating and is sitting in the front, he looks perfect. I think tomorrow will be his last day and if I could catch him I would remove him today because I am sure the bristle worms will grab him as he becomes weaker.
I will miss him.
A baby
tank007.jpg

Teenager with his main squeeze
2008reef011.jpg

Tending the eggs
Gobieggs026.jpg

Middle age
Gobieggs006.jpg

In morning for his sweetheart
Custo009.jpg

Early this morning hanging out near the front glass.
This will be his last picture of him.
IMG_1721.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I didn't lose him yet, but almost. He is a cool fish. But he did have a good life. I will try to catch him tonight before the bristle worms get him. I imagine he may have a few more days to go but it is not worth it and I would rather let him die in peace.
He looks so sad now because he is on the side of the tank near the front just starring out at me. Although I think he is almost blind. I know that look as I have seen it many times before. But I feel that if a fish can live long enough to die of old age, I did my job and I am happy for him.
Fish go downhill very fast when their lifespan is almost over.
Most reef fish live longer than 12 but I am not sure about gobies.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died at 7:00pm tonight. I just watched him take his last breath.
Then I autopsed his gills to see if I could find any paracites because that is the best way to tell if you have any in your tank.
He had the gills of a teenager, who never smoke.
His gills were in perfect shape and I could not find one gill filimant out of place or even one paracite, which is strange.
But I know he died of old age and nothing else. There was no need to do a full autopsy

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though he passed on, congrats to you on having the experience to keep him so long. Not many of us are able to keep our fish for that long, so hats off to you as you must be doing something right :)

Again, sorry for your loss. I know how easy it is to become attached to your fishies :)

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow paul sorry to hear aout the loss! but again an amazing story! looks like the fish had a great life!

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks man, sorry for your loss i have the same kind of gobi and he was my first fish purchase. i love him and his pistol shrimp. mine is just over 2 yrs now and i hope he grows old as yours did. you guys served each other well :angel:

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here about your fish Paul, but your story and care for your fish/tank is very inspiring. I hope to have the amount of succes you have had man.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm sorry for your loss Paul, I can't help but think congratulations are in order. What an accomplishment, having provided a successful (stable) environment for that pair (and all your livestock) for so many years.

Whenever I hear the idiotic rants of Snorkel Bob, or other misinformed, misguided and/or ignorant opponents of responsible marine aquaria - I will think of this story and your Yellow Gobies.

Thank you Paul.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ain't gonna lie, that's almost a tear jerker.

Thanks guys, but lets not forget, this was a fish. I miss him as he gave me a little more to do when I fed the tank. I used to have to put a feeding tube near the rocks and he would suck out the clam. In his later years he got very lazy and didn't like to hunt any more. And he had me trained to hand feed him. Thats why he was so fat. If I didn't feed the tank for a day, he would hang out of the rock looking for me and would get all excited when I finally offered him some food. Usually I would have to snake the food around under all the obstacles to find him.

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul sometimes we don't as humans give animals enough credit. Sure he was a fish but you will have to admit that after 12 years there was a bond there. Some of my fish have only been with me for 5 years but they know the difference between me and other household members. I guess this just proves they know where their bread is buttered. Their activities show me that they can observe my actions outside the tank and can read my intentions. RIP Goby Sr. and Pauls friend.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but you will have to admit that after 12 years there was a bond there.

Yes there was, and I do miss him. I have lost many fish in the last fifty years and a few of them I remember well, such as this guy.
My fish have a very nice cushy life and I take very good care of them. They never get flakes and rarely even get commercially sold food except mysis. I shave thin pieces of clam every day along with live blackworms. I also hatch brine shrimp every day.
I am sure they know where their bread is buttered.:smile:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the story Paul and nice pictures. Sad to hear he had to go but it seems you had 12 awesome years with him. I have had my YWG for 3 years and he is a tank fave too.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring! Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing how it can be done.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I understand he is a fish, but there is a bond between an animal and their keeper, especially when they know who you are and come out to say hi when they see you at the tank...

Back