Gobie and Fungus?

Coralline65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so this little guy got added last Saturday and all was ok. On Monday there was a little white spot which looked like a graze, but it’s got progressively worse and the first picture attached (night) was today.

I’ve put in Oddinex the past couple of nights when it started to get worse but although he seemed a bit better earlier it now looks worse.

Tank has:

Peppermint and Cleaner Shrimp
2 Clowns
1 Regal Damsel
4 Nassarus
4 Trocchus
4 Red Legged Hermits
Bubble Tip Anemone
Duncans (small frag)
Riccordeas and Rhodactis
Kenya Tree
Finger Leather and Toadstool Leather
Zoas

PH 8.2, Nitrates 10, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0.25, Phos 0.1

7E40FAEB-C5EF-4F63-9555-7BDE2D0BE0D9.jpeg F4E6AE5E-6DCB-4346-9962-CB478F03BE87.jpeg B68F19A1-9ECB-4361-B9B0-64D5C6CFAB3B.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like a severe primary bacterial disease. These are usually gram negative - Pseudomonas or Aeromonas sp. A broad spectrum antibiotic would be the best treatment. Also, because so much skin is damaged, it helps to lower the salinity a bit so the fish can osmoregulate more easily (you can't do that in your display tank of course).

The Esha Oodinex you are adding is not a true antibiotic. It has some bacteriostatic components, but at very low doses (in order to keep it safe for invertebrates). I think it is unlikely to be able to cure a severe infection like this. It supposedly contains: Ethacridine lactate, Proflavine, Malachite green and Methylene blue.

I understand that you probably won't be able to source true aquarium antibiotics in the UK.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Per suggestion of Jay and agreed, for your country, use either avloclor (which is like ruby rally pro in the US) Or Preferably Waterlife Myxazin which is a broad spectrum antibiotic

OP
OP
Coralline65

Coralline65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like a severe primary bacterial disease. These are usually gram negative - Pseudomonas or Aeromonas sp. A broad spectrum antibiotic would be the best treatment. Also, because so much skin is damaged, it helps to lower the salinity a bit so the fish can osmoregulate more easily (you can't do that in your display tank of course).

The Esha Oodinex you are adding is not a true antibiotic. It has some bacteriostatic components, but at very low doses (in order to keep it safe for invertebrates). I think it is unlikely to be able to cure a severe infection like this. It supposedly contains: Ethacridine lactate, Proflavine, Malachite green and Methylene blue.

I understand that you probably won't be able to source true aquarium antibiotics in the UK.

Jay
Hi Jay, thanks for your reply, it’s hugely appreciated.

Unfortunately I don’t have a quarantine tank and yes Oddinex I added even though it is mild to try and help.

I’m not sure where it’s came from and thought perhaps a sting or a graze that’s went infected.

Everything else in the tank is ok, the shrimps have just moulted, although the mushrooms I don’t think like the Oddinex as they have shrunk right down.

I can try set up a quarantine and use tank water for that with RO water. He’s still eating and is moving about but can see some lethargy about him.

OP
OP
Coralline65

Coralline65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per suggestion of Jay and agreed, for your country, use either avloclor (which is like ruby rally pro in the US) Or Preferably Waterlife Myxazin which is a broad spectrum antibiotic
Thanks, is Myxazin invert/coral safe? Earliest I can get that is Wednesday

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back