Gobies, Pistol Shrimps, and Nassarius Snails

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Could use some advice. I have 2 goby/pistol shrimp pairs. They have staked out their own territories and leave each other in peace. Where they live, the sand stays pretty clean but the other parts of my sandbed could use cleaning. I don't vacuum the sand. I was thinking of getting some nassarius snails to clean the sand. How disruptive would the snails be to the goby/shrimp sand homes. Would they attack the snails? Would the snails avoid the gobies/shimps? Is there better natural solutions to keeping the sand clean without harming the goby/shrimp habitats?

Thanks,
drblank1

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a goby who liked to "help" his pistol shrimp by bringing him things, including the odd nassarius snail. Live things don't make good building materials, though, so the shrimp would always throw them out. I managed to video the final move in a surprisingly long argument over the addition of a nassarius snail to the burrow. The shrimp would throw it out and the goby would bring it back. No nassarius snails were harmed in the making of this movie. ;Hilarious

FurbsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a goby who liked to "help" his pistol shrimp by bringing him things, including the odd nassarius snail. Live things don't make good building materials, though, so the shrimp would always throw them out. I managed to video the final move in a surprisingly long argument over the addition of a nassarius snail to the burrow. The shrimp would throw it out and the goby would bring it back. No nassarius snails were harmed in the making of this movie. ;Hilarious

THAT. IS. HILARIOUS

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Could use some advice. I have 2 goby/pistol shrimp pairs. They have staked out their own territories and leave each other in peace. Where they live, the sand stays pretty clean but the other parts of my sandbed could use cleaning. I don't vacuum the sand. I was thinking of getting some nassarius snails to clean the sand. How disruptive would the snails be to the goby/shrimp sand homes. Would they attack the snails? Would the snails avoid the gobies/shimps? Is there better natural solutions to keeping the sand clean without harming the goby/shrimp habitats?

Thanks,
drblank1
My gobie and pistol shrimp have been great together, any intrusion they both disappear into burrow, I'm Sure yours do too, my pistol shrimp shapes out sand daily, I have different cuc that intrude on thier space but they tend to just hide, each day I see clean sand from burrow so yes, get some more cuc to move sand about, this is on my list too :)

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is too funny.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my gobies are fairly lazy sunning themselves all day while the pistol shrimps work tirelessly keep their homes dug out. Both sets have front and back door openings in the sand. I can only image what intricate tunnel system they have for themselves. Thanks again for the advice.

Back