Goby(s) for established tiger pistol shrimp?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I think my YWG might be seeing her last days. For the sanity of the shrimp we will need to find a replacement without too much delay. The shrimp is a big boy so I'm looking for a larger species of goby, but also a really chill species because my tank is very peaceful. Suggestions for favorite gobies?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I think my YWG might be seeing her last days. For the sanity of the shrimp we will need to find a replacement without too much delay. The shrimp is a big boy so I'm looking for a larger species of goby, but also a really chill species because my tank is very peaceful. Suggestions for favorite gobies?
Lagoon shrimp goby (This is a joke unless your tank is rather big, they get 4.5”).
I quite like these:
- Randals Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
- Blackray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops xanthorhinica)

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lagoon shrimp goby (This is a joke unless your tank is rather big, they get 4.5”).
I quite like these:
- Randals Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
- Blackray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops xanthorhinica)

Ha yeah, probably should have mentioned the tank is 50g. That's a really neat goby, though!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha yeah, probably should have mentioned the tank is 50g. That's a really neat goby, though!
Actually, now I know that it may be big enough (It says for these a min of 45 gallons online). As for aggression, I would say similar to the watchman.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my aurora, similar to a Randall’s but brighter orange (no large signal fin though).
I have seen several of these pop up in my LFS whereas I’ve only seen 1 pop up in the LFS so I would say these are for sure the easier way to go if you wanted something like the Randal but not as hard to get (My tang is only a nano so I try to go for the harder/less common fish over the things like watchmans).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several of these pop up in my LFS whereas I’ve only seen 1 pop up in the LFS so I would say these are for sure the easier way to go if you wanted something like the Randal but not as hard to get (My tang is only a nano so I try to go for the harder/less common fish over the things like watchmans).
I had been wanting a Randall’s (or high fin) for a while, but never found one. I saw an aurora at the lfs and fell in love with it…and the rest is history.
You’ll never guess what 2 species popped up at the lfs a few weeks ago though.

Back