Goby with red/pinkish mark on mouth??

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I noticed one of my gobies in quarantine has a reddish pinkish spot on his mouth. Not sure if it’s natural coloring or some sort of sore? The quarantine is currently running copper power at 2.0 ppm and after first noticing this mark I started dosing kanaplex with furan 2. I’m on day 7 of that treatment and day 8 of therapeutic copper. The goby seems to be swimming normally and grazing but the mark isn’t going away. Ammonia badges are normal. Water changes are currently every other day for the meds treatment (not fun with maintaining copper).

also in quarantine is a Fijian mimic tang, a tiger goby and a second orange stripe goby like this one. I’ve never observed any aggression between any of them. Any ideas would be appreciated.

64C12755-7088-4E3B-B361-6BABCAC70CA3.jpeg E4157838-0101-4D85-B321-DA9D744A3A42.jpeg 754E7874-C185-4383-B625-5E318A8F859F.jpeg C44E2503-6A5E-4BA0-9447-EB31D9AD7B08.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that redishness looks suspicious. You are already treating with antibiotics, but the fish's immune system is being suppressed by the copper. How long has the fish been at therapeutic level?

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that redishness looks suspicious. You are already treating with antibiotics, but the fish's immune system is being suppressed by the copper. How long has the fish been at therapeutic level?
Today is day 8 at therapeutic level. I noticed the spot about 5 days ago and started dosing antibiotics. No noticeable chance yet but I’ve heard antibiotics are slow. I found another post that mentions sulfaplex, which I don’t have. I believe that post was dealing with this same issue on the exact same fish. I can go to my LFS for it tomorrow (if they have it). I do have ruby reef on hand if that would help?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually recommend Sulfaplex + Neoplex for infections of the head area.

RRR is a very mild product that treats mild infections. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities. Best treated in a 60-90 minute temperature matched and aerated bath.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually recommend Sulfaplex + Neoplex for infections of the head area.

RRR is a very mild product that treats mild infections. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities. Best treated in a 60-90 minute temperature matched and aerated bath.
Can I add sulfaplex to my current dosed meds? Should I get sulfa and neoplex and add them? I’ve added an extra air stone to the tank and everything looks good minus the sore on the lip. I don’t want to add too many things at once.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mix sulfaplex with anything other than neoplex. Interactions could be poor and over stress the fish.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mix sulfaplex with anything other than neoplex. Interactions could be poor and over stress the fish.
You think the furan and kanaplex will help? Once I’ve done 10 days if it hasn’t changed should I then dose the sulfa and neo?

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finished a 12 day rotation of kanaplex and furan 2. Last dose was 2 days ago and I did a 25% water change yesterday. The gobies mouth looks better but still a little pink and now the smaller one has developed the same pink spot on its lip. Not sure if this is related to copper dosing. Today is day 15 of therapeutic levels of copper power at 2.0 ppm. The tiger goby and tang look great.

I also just received my shipment of neoplex and sulfaplex in the mail. Should I start a round of these meds? Do I feed them with food and focus or add to water column? Or how long should I wait before starting them since it’s only been one day and a water change since I stopped kanaplex and furan 2?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd continue with the kanaplex + Furan2 as the fish seems to be improving until the copper is done. Were you planning on 30 days of copper or are you going to move them to a fresh QT and observe?

Sulfaplex + Neoplex are best absorbed through the skin.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd continue with the kanaplex + Furan2 as the fish seems to be improving until the copper is done. Were you planning on 30 days of copper or are you going to move them to a fresh QT and observe?

Sulfaplex + Neoplex are best absorbed through the skin.
30 days is what I normally do and have had great results. I don’t have room for an additional QT. How long do I continue the kanaplex and furan 2 for? I don’t wanna overdose the fish for doing it for too long.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days is what I normally do and have had great results. I don’t have room for an additional QT. How long do I continue the kanaplex and furan 2 for? I don’t wanna overdose the fish for doing it for too long.
10-15 days is a normal treatment period for most antibiotics.
Adding vitamins to the fish's food will help its immune system to heal itself. Beta Glucan can work well as a boost.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back