Goby with white belly

sirburke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

My watchman goby is breathing hard and has a much whiter belly (no bumps) than usual and is leaning against a rock. my tang has started to do the same, again no noticeable spores on the outside of the fish.

other fish are fine, inverts fine, corals are fine, anenome is fine. Nothing new in the tank in three months +. All purchased at the same store. Tank almost a year old.

water
nitrate: 0
nitrite: 10
ph: 8.0 (had been very stable at 8.2)
phosphate: 28.2 (this had Been as high as 40 on my Hanna but has been trending down)
temp: 78.2
salinity: 34.3

Any thoughts as to what would cause the tummy to discolor seemingly from the inside? I assume a parasite.

Treatment?

LFS recommended Prazi.

Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank? Are you seeing any fast breathing in those yet?
The two most common issues would be velvet or flukes. Prazipro can combat flukes and can often be used in a reef tank. Velvet kills faster and the fish would need to be moved to a treatment tank and dosed with copper.
If you can post a short video of the goby, that might give us some clues as to which direction to go.
Jay

OP
OP
S

sirburke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank? Are you seeing any fast breathing in those yet?
The two most common issues would be velvet or flukes. Prazipro can combat flukes and can often be used in a reef tank. Velvet kills faster and the fish would need to be moved to a treatment tank and dosed with copper.
If you can post a short video of the goby, that might give us some clues as to which direction to go.
Jay
Thanks Jay. The tang and the goby passed away. No external spots beyond rubbing. I followed the advice of the lps and the two fish looked a bit better but then the goby died and the tang went into a rock tunnel and started ramming a rock, then it died. All three other fish and inverts seem fine. I think I will do the follow up treatment as recommended to finish the cycle just in case.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back