GOING BIGGER: Are you planning a reef tank UPGRADE?

How soon to you plan to upgrade your aquarium?

• Happening NOW

Votes: 172 21.8%
  • Within 6 months

Votes: 69 8.7%
  • Within 1 year

Votes: 95 12.0%
  • 1 - 3 Years

Votes: 144 18.2%
  • Not sure when but at some point

Votes: 193 24.4%
  • Never

Votes: 117 14.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello folks! Hope your day is off to a good one. I'm sure it's going great if you're planning on a new tank upgrade soon! I thought we could talk about that today and what you're planning on doing! So please let us know by answering the following questions:

1. Are you planning to upgrade your aquarium to a BIGGER aquarium soon or at some point down the road?

2. Why are you planning for a bigger tank? Why the upgrade?

If you have any photos of a new upgrade please share!

GOING BIGGER.jpg

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 120 reef ready dual overflow 4x2x2 with Current USA 8 bulb T5, stand, heaters and some extra stuff.
Going to be picking it up within the next week or two.
I'm upgrading because my current 40b setup was just a stepping stone to begin with, time to move on, bigger and better!

8bulb current.jpg
120 gal.jpg
IMG_20200314_131238.jpg
IMG_20200314_131842.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 1.5 years into my very first reef tank (an all-in-one IM Nuvo Fusion 40) and I'm definitely planning an upgrade at some point. I'll probably do it in the 1-3 year range though as I need to upgrade the house first (i.e. move into a bigger one) so I have the space for a larger tank. It'll be interesting to see how my house-hunting is influenced by potential reef tank and/or fish room locations. :D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the physical act of moving live reef materials among tanks is a form of reef surgery that has varying outcomes, its rather easy to find in the emergency forum moves that did not go well. Message me for custom move planning I want the works on file for future jobs. I think we have a bulletproof way to move without loss, worth testing. we have other jobs logged for you to see before you attempt.

basic summary of whole tank transfer safety:

two modes exist: 1 moving over pretty much everything in reef A to reef B including all micro life, waste, and all substrates. various offers exist online on how to pull off a complete transfer. this seems like the ideal way/preserves the most microbial life, but its actually the riskiest way. moving waste over commutes the complete risk in this plan of attack. as you research work threads using this method, you see variation between 'it worked' and my tank cycled again/loss.

2. the no cloud waste transfer. This is where your tank is deep cleaned right in between takedown of A and before setting up B tank. though it seems deep cleaning would be harmful, it resets the age lifespan of your reef while maintaining all nitrification ability, has never caused a mini cycle or recycle, and constitutes none of the failed move attempts in the emergency forum in fact we use the method for 33 pages in the sand rinse thread to fix, move, and upgrade reefs never having to test for ammonia (reliable). it is 100% safe to move reef materials if you move no waste clouding. you have to re ramp your lighting in the new reef/running full production lighting in reef B using same materials is a bleaching risk. this method is far more work than approach 1, and you can bet six worms are going to be killed in sandbed rinsing to ensure your thousands of dollars in coral are not killed.

Last edited:

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan to upgrade either my 10 gallon or 29 gallon. Might upgrade the equipment on the tanks, but not the tanks themselves. Although, I donplan to get anothet tano sometime in the future of a much larger size. But it won't be an upgrade, just an additional tank.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked 1-3 years but that is wishful thinking. My main display is a 2006 tank so one of these days it needs to be replaced. I would like to move into a forever house or at least a location where I don't wish I could move. Given the pandemic I can't imagine moving for at least a year and who knows what 2021 will bring..

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention we’re going from a 30g bow front to a 100g Waterbox. Progressing slowly but surely, taking our time and doing it right.

Next things on the tank list:
More live rock
Additional fish:
Diamond goby
Yellow Tang
Wrasse (still researching)
T5/Orphek 120 Blue install
Coral move
WB ATO to Refugium conversion
Skimmer install
IKEA besta cabinet for controllers

Stretch upgrades (within a year or two):
Neptune Apex
Dosers - open to recommendations I like the new Ecotech Versa but Neptune is tried and true.
Sensors - Autoaqua skimmer sensor
FMM flow monitors

03C415EC-7386-440E-8B3D-6FD129310730.jpeg 67CBF67E-3240-4268-B7A9-1F6821FE2463.jpeg 36EF59DD-6252-42EE-9DF2-3846281A8223.jpeg 601DC3FD-6596-4295-AD5B-B83635C01675.jpeg

Last edited:

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to scratch my 55 with a flipper mag which is a bummer since I never use it near the sand, store it outside of the tank and rinse it on rodi before each use. I don’t get it. I’m going to attempt to make a cerium oxide-infused “tool” for it and see if I can do an underwater repair with a rotary tool flex shaft. If that doesn’t work (which it probably won’t), i’m going to go back to what I built my stand for, a 100g acrylic tank. I’ll scratch that one fore sure too, but repairing it is FAR easier than dealing with glass. Also, I have a tiny hippo tang in my tank that’ll need a bigger setup eventually anyways.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on upgrading at some point. I'm simply going to out grow my current space in the next few years. The goal is to upgrade to are 250-300 gallon display with 3-4 raceways for growing.

panorama shack.jpg
Still one of my favorite setups!
My wife asked why I was clearing and laying cement in the backyard... showed her this picture and told her where our retirement money was going. #reeftirementgoals

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still one of my favorite setups!
My wife asked why I was clearing and laying cement in the backyard... showed her this picture and told her where our retirement money was going. #reeftirementgoals

Thanks!!! We'll be building our forever home in the next few years hopefully. The goal is to upgrade from a 8x16 portable building to a real 20x40 shop on a slab!

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you should "never say never" … but that was my vote. Jumped from a 55g to a 240g back in 2006 and have been quite happy and satisfied with it. Now that being said … IF I were to win or inherit a larger tank I would not turn it down! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back