Going Bigger Soon with my FOWLR

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally given the OK to setup my 125 when fish are ready to be moved out of the 55, wanted to see what I can really do with this tank and how I can stock/scape it. So what I have going right now as candidates for the new tank are

2 Green Scats
Mono Argentus
Volitan Lion
Dragon Wrasse
Cuban Hogfish
Cleaner Wrasse

okay so for starters, I am set on keeping my green scats (atleast one) my mono, and my Cuban hog when they get larger. These are taking up three spots in the tank. Willing to let go of the others if they are unlikely to work as adults. Love the personality of the dragon, volitan, and cleaner, Ifigure the volitan will be heavy on my bioload and fear the dragon wrasse may become territorial.

The scats and monos are a bit of an oddball fish to see in this area of the hobby so I’d figure I’d explain their place in the stock but anyways scats are relatives of rabbit fish sharing the venomous spines, behaviors, size, and algae eating. The monos are not closely related to any fish I’m aware of in the salt hobby but behave most similarly to the raccoon butterflies I’ve kept.

so things I have interest in...

red Coris

literally any of the larger angel/butterfly species

group of anthias?

tangs? Maybe a purple tang

I see so many differing ways to stock 125s so I’m not too entirely sure but what I have working in my head would be the...

Cuban Hog
Scat
Mono
Purple Tang
Raccoon Bfly
Dragon Wrasse
Volitan if he can’t eat them by then
Cleaner wrasse
Possibly the red coris to level out wrasse aggression?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have often heard about anthias, you either need to keep them solo or in groups of 7+ otherswise they kill eachother over time.

If you're worried about the volitan eating tank mates, go for a Dwarf Fuzzy. A bit smaller, so it opens up your options a little bit.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure i would recommend anthias for a tank with all those somewhat agressive species. But if you do go for anthias the larger species may fare better, like bimacs, fasciatus and pictilis, but i cant really say, just an assumption, and even those species may feel harassed by the likes of hogs, coris and dragon wrasses, so im not really sure it will work.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back