Going Fallow need help with QT.

Jeves360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am what seems to be an Ich outbreak or maybe something else going on. I lost a Blonde Naso Tang last week in what feels to be a blink of an eye. He was doing great so I thought, really no signs of ich on him. Fed the fish in the morning, by the afternoon he was looking bad. All other fish seemed fine. I checked for Rogue current and found none. Water paremerers were OK, phosphate was a bit higher than it should and I am battling a bit of Cyano and some Dino at the moment. Only thing done different was I swapped GFO with Phosgaurd.

The fish st da rted showing some signs of either ich or flukes. I did a freshwater dip and had some flukes drop, not a lot. He was OK for a day still not eating. He passed before I was able to QT him.

Now my Firefish is showing signs of ich. I put my QT tank back up to QT her and she never came out of hiding in the morning. Of course I fear the worst.

I am going to go Fallow for the 76 days. I will be using Fritz Coppersafe.

I have a pair of clowns, a Yellow Tang, a Diamond Watchman Goby, a Green Mandarin, a Male Lyretail Anthias and two female and a Royal Gramma.

I have a 20 gallon long QT. Will this be enough, or should. I split some into a 10 gallon I also have?

I know Anthias do not typically do well in QT, any advice? I've read up a bit.

Still no signs of my Firefish. Starting showing signs two days ago and now most likely gone.

20201031_155649.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry to see,i would split the fish,anthias and mandy in 10, rest in 20, as far as meds, lets get you some help,best wishes :) @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of fish to QT in a 20. I’d be more worried about the mandarin unless it is feeding well on prepared foods. How will you manage the ammonia? Can you move media from your DT? Although I use coppersafe by the gallon, and it is very safe, it also isn’t as effective at treating active disease as Cupramine is.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would place the larger and/or aggressive in the 20 and peaceful and sammler in the 10 with you keeping in mind that Mandy needs to eat and cant have food thieves sharing the tank and out-competing it for food.

OP
OP
Jeves360

Jeves360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of fish to QT in a 20. I’d be more worried about the mandarin unless it is feeding well on prepared foods. How will you manage the ammonia? Can you move media from your DT? Although I use coppersafe by the gallon, and it is very safe, it also isn’t as effective at treating active disease as Cupramine is.
Jay
Yea I figured, I have my own Rodi and got salt today, I just ran out and was waiting on a new shipment. I was planning on water changes every few days, not sure what's recommended and or amount. I do have two of the seachem ammonia alert and Amquel on deck, not sure of Amquel effect with the copper though, it was a recommendation. I also have seachem copper test to keep track of the copper levels.

At the moment, none of the other fish are showing any signs of ich at all. Should I consider cupramine instead of coppersafe?

I do have some ceramic filter media in a filter cup that I was planning on moving into the QT, should I place this in the HOB filter? I have some filter sponge in the sump as well just in case I needed to seed a qt. I also have some Dr tims one and only nitrifying bacteria as well.

Unfortunately the mandarin is not eating prepared foods. I do have a diy feeding station and have been raising my own pods and baby brine.

OP
OP
Jeves360

Jeves360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place the larger and/or aggressive in the 20 and peaceful and sammler in the 10 with you keeping in mind that Mandy needs to eat and cant have food thieves sharing the tank and out-competing it for food.
For sure. I do have a feeding station for the Mandarin and he's been somewhat using it lately. I grow my own pods and brine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I figured, I have my own Rodi and got salt today, I just ran out and was waiting on a new shipment. I was planning on water changes every few days, not sure what's recommended and or amount. I do have two of the seachem ammonia alert and Amquel on deck, not sure of Amquel effect with the copper though, it was a recommendation. I also have seachem copper test to keep track of the copper levels.

At the moment, none of the other fish are showing any signs of ich at all. Should I consider cupramine instead of coppersafe?

I do have some ceramic filter media in a filter cup that I was planning on moving into the QT, should I place this in the HOB filter? I have some filter sponge in the sump as well just in case I needed to seed a qt. I also have some Dr tims one and only nitrifying bacteria as well.

Unfortunately the mandarin is not eating prepared foods. I do have a diy feeding station and have been raising my own pods and baby brine.

No - stick with the Coppersafe - Cupramine has a big issue with ammonia removers, you can't use them with that. Good deal about the feeding station with the mandarin.

Yes - anything you can move over that would have bacteria on it will help, so will the Dr. Tim's

Jay

OP
OP
Jeves360

Jeves360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - stick with the Coppersafe - Cupramine has a big issue with ammonia removers, you can't use them with that. Good deal about the feeding station with the mandarin.

Yes - anything you can move over that would have bacteria on it will help, so will the Dr. Tim's

Jay
Awesome, thank you Jay. Today starts the fun part as I will be transferring the fish over. Should I start dosing today if I get them all moved, or give them time to settle in and start dosing in a day or two?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move fish right in with coppersafe, just be certain you are dosing to actual volume of water, not the tank’s “rated” capacity.
jay

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have biofilter media you can use in the QT? You don't care about parasites in the media, because the copper will kill them (you will throw that media away when done). The problem issues I see with your plan is ammonia and oxygen.

OP
OP
Jeves360

Jeves360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have biofilter media you can use in the QT? You don't care about parasites in the media, because the copper will kill them (you will throw that media away when done). The problem issues I see with your plan is ammonia and oxygen.
I do have filter media and will be using that in the qt tanks. Aside from doing water changes and using Amquel or something similar, what else can I do? As for Oxygen, I am using HOB for each and a small power head. I can add an air stone to each.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a couple Tupperware container bins I would do tank transfer method on these fish you can do multiple fish at a time and then I would set up both your 20 and your 10 gallon tank and maybe even run out and grab another 10 gallon which is fairly inexpensive at Walmart and then I split them up between the three after I was done with my tank transfer method I'd let them sit like that for the next 90 days or so when your tank has no fish in it to kill the ich in the display tank by doing a tank transfer method ammonia never becomes a concern because you transfer them out within 48 to 72 hours all you need is a couple Tupperware bins an air pump a couple air stones and some tubing couple places for them to hide I can give you more info on this if you wish just message me more detailed info

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back