Going Fallow?

TangsRLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after losing 400+$ worth of fish I decided I’m sick of managing ick and other parasites. I’m down to a foxface, blue tang, yellow tang, blue devil damsel, a pajama bottom cardinalfish, a cleaner wrasse, and my chainlink eel. I’m moving all of these fish into a 55 I bought and keeping my system fallow for 80 days. Some questions I have...

I want to treat my fish for worms I know that are messing with their appetite. I’m going to use Prazipro.
-How will the eel and wrasse react to it?
-how to dose with these two
-do I need to treat my system or will being fallow starve them out?

For the fish I just listed above what’s the best approach to treat for ick. Hypo, copper?

And when I keep my tank fallow do I need to kee feeding it as much and keep the skimmer going or what’s the procedure?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump_zpsd30545d0.gif

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this on my 300.

I like copper for ich. it is cheap, it's easy to test (with hannah meter) and it works!! some love hypo, I know many that have had bad luck.

keep on eye on nitrates in your qt. I had several large tangs in my qt.. desjardini, Achilles, hippo, sohal, blonde naso, and around 12 other fish. I went through a LOT of water keeping nitrates down. 600 gallons in total over the fallow period.

you can throw some food in your tank every now and then to keep nitrates up. I was still able to pull skimate but I am running vinegar soo it pulls lots of black skim.

turn off any gfo.

buy pods for your tank!!! they will be everywhere by the time you put your fish in.

maybe re aquascape... clean your sand bed. doing anything to not make yourself go crazy while the tank is idle.

good luck and congrats on riding your system of ich!!!

Tangs for life!!
9414bfc53e06e49f744c2be5d9fb51c7.jpg

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this on my 300.

I like copper for ich. it is cheap, it's easy to test (with hannah meter) and it works!! some love hypo, I know many that have had bad luck.

keep on eye on nitrates in your qt. I had several large tangs in my qt.. desjardini, Achilles, hippo, sohal, blonde naso, and around 12 other fish. I went through a LOT of water keeping nitrates down. 600 gallons in total over the fallow period.

you can throw some food in your tank every now and then to keep nitrates up. I was still able to pull skimate but I am running vinegar soo it pulls lots of black skim.

turn off any gfo.

buy pods for your tank!!! they will be everywhere by the time you put your fish in.

maybe re aquascape... clean your sand bed. doing anything to not make yourself go crazy while the tank is idle.

good luck and congrats on riding your system of ich!!!

Tangs for life!!
9414bfc53e06e49f744c2be5d9fb51c7.jpg
Or just buy coral and more coral...

At least thats what i did.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No CP for wrasses or blue tang.
No copper for eels.
If you cannot do separate qt tanks and have to use in 1 tank alone then hypo or tank transfer are the only 2 options you have.

Prazipro is ok to use on any fish.

Fallow is 10-12 weeks so in that time frame just ghost feed a little pinch every week. Leave all equipment running like normal.

OP
OP
TangsRLife

TangsRLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty big skimmer, if I only feed a little bit of food won’t it strip my tank of nutrients?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont matter there will be enough to keep cycle going (bacteria fed)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back