Going from Radion G4s to Radion G5 Blue: initial impression and two week update

Nubbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a update to my original review after two weeks of use.

So I had been thinking about going to a hybrid t5/led route with my G4s, and then I saw the announcement for G5s. After some thinking and number crunching, I ended up biting the bullet for the new G5s to replace G4s hoping that the spread of the light in the G5s will be similar to G4 with T5s.

These are some thoughts after two weeks of use. Overall still more negative than positive. Ecotech still hasn't changed anything and it doesn't look like things will change anytime soon with the craziness that is going on in the world.

Pros:
  • Amazing light spread. I no longer feel the need to add T5s so it did address the main issue to why I did the upgrade.
  • Less disco than G4 without diffuser
  • Moonlights are AMAZING. This is something I did not know that I needed in my life. It has added a few more viewing hours to my tank, and a moonlit tank is an amazing background in the living room while watching movies or just hanging out. My only complaints of the moonlights is it seems to highlight the disco effect more probably because it's only a few LEDs that are on. I think once I get a diffuser, it will resolve most if not all of this.
Neutral:
  • Radion BLUE....doesn't look blue? Using the AB+ template (all channels at 100%), the lights don't look anything like AB+ on radion G4s hooked up to WXM. There is way more white with a weird green tint (I know there are new green LEDs on radion blues, but I thought they would have blended them in better.) It looks more like metal halides than AB+. Corals have kind of that washed out color and less pop. Personally, I like a bluer look on G4s, however, if this 'new' spectrum has better colors/growth long term then I'd be okay with the new color. After using it for two weeks, the color is starting to grow on me. Yes, the corals don't pop as much during the day, but I feel like the colors of my fish are better and overall the tank looks more natural now.
    • I think that this is probably the BIGGEST takeaway from this review. These new radion blues do NOT look like original AB+. After playing around with spectrums, I believe this is due to the new lime/cyan LEDs. If you turn these two down, the spectrum starts to look a lot more like the original AB+. I don't think this is necessarily a good or bad thing which is why I still have this in neutral. If you really like the blue color of AB+ on prior generations, I would avoid getting a radion blue and just go with a pro unless you mount really high and need the extra PAR from radion blues. You should be able to get the exact same look of AB+ on the radion pro because it does not have lime/cyan LEDs. With that said, alk consumption and overall coral health for me with this new AB+ is currently the same as when I had G4 AB+. If you want 'AB+ results', but dislike the heavy blue color associated with AB+...then this may be the perfect light for you.
Cons:
  • Mobius is STILL absolute trash. Not a single update since the initial update from when the lights were released. It honestly does not feel like a finished product. I did not use reeflink/ecosmart live previously, so maybe its always been bad. To be frank, it is to the point of turning me off completely from buying ecotech products in the future if they don't fix this. PSA to all who don't know....you can ONLY connect to the lights through bluetooth and there is no option as of now to connect through wifi. Bluetooth is finicky, constantly crashing, and prob only works 20% of the time. If you have multiple lights, good luck trying to get them to all connect and synced at the same time. I am using a iphoneX/ipad pro to connect and both have the same issues. Mobius is also extremely laggy. Each page can take up to 15-20 seconds to load. When you adjust settings, you can't save it half the time because the app lags out and crashes. Ecotech, your hardware is only as good as your software.
    • I'm still currently having a ton of issues with mobius. I've been slowly ramping my intensity up and every time I change the settings, something else screws up. Currently I can't get my lights to sync on the same schedule. Yes, you heard it right. My lights that I paid $800+ each are currently on different schedules. I have given up at this point. Fortunately they are only a few seconds apart, but it is incredibly frustrating trying to program these lights with the biggest point of sale software imaginable. You will save settings and it will only update one light but it doesn't pop an error message or anything. You literally would not know unless you tested the PAR or if the lights actually turned on at different times. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE and I'm sure will be a deal breaker for some.
    • The only light at the end of the tunnel right now is I will be at my target intensity for the PAR that I'm aiming for in a few weeks. If a miracle happens and I'm actually able to sync my lights to the same settings... (so crazy that I even have to say that), then I will won't have to use this garbage app until I need to change something again.
  • Yes, the lights make popping sounds. To be honest, I didn't know what the heck this sound was at first. I thought it was my pistol shrimp going crazy doing drive-bys or something but quickly realized that it wasn't coming from the rock work but instead from the lights above. Only time will tell if this popping is actually detrimental to the lights. I'll be honest, I am a little worried that 2-3 years down the line the plastic panel over the LEDs will crack because I'm assuming that is where all the noise is coming from.
  • Fan is loud - very loud. I usually keep my living room at around 70F and the threshold for the fans seem to be about 40% intensity for me. If the intensity is below 40%, the fan rarely kicks on. Once it goes above 40%, it will start turning off and on. Unfortunately for me, I do ramp past 40%. The best way to describe the sound is it sounds like a high end graphics card fan cranked to 100%. You can definitely hear it in the room and I've already had multiple people who don't know anything about reef lights comment that the fans are loud and distracting. I think its pretty ironic that Ecotech made a big deal that 'other fans are inferior' so they made their own fan. Uh, your fan sucks. It looks great, but who cares what they look like if they don't work better than previous generations. Even with they loud sound, they obviously aren't cooling enough because my lights are still popping, lol. I have no idea if this is possible, but I'm hoping this fan issue can be fixed with software down the road. Right now they just seem to be at 0 or 100%. There is no in between.
  • Do NOT mount the lights on your tank until AFTER you finish setting everything up. You will thank me later. When you first boot the light up, it will go full 100% blast. After panicking and immediately hitting the power off on the lights, it went back to full blast multiple times during the configuration. When you try to adjust the lights, it will 'demo' the changes live. I kind of understand the rationale behind this, but I wish ecotech would put an option to turn this off. I much rather have the apex way of doing this where you adjust all your settings and then 'save' your settings. After saving the settings, a demo would be appropriate, but not while you are dialing in things. Between mobius screwing up and crashing every few minutes, me trying to dial in my settings, and the lights being a completely different color from G4s, I manage to royally **** off all of my corals to the point where they have not consumed any alk in a day. After a few days, my alk consumption did go back to being the same as it was before.
  • Poor packaging and poor instructions. The inside of the box does not 'feel' like it is housing a $800+ light. The cardboard feels thinner than lights in the past. The light inside of the box is poorly protected and I've seen other people receiving brand new xr30s with cracked lenses. Mine wasn't cracked but two of the screws in one of the lights were not screwed in and was just rolling around in the box... The instructions that come with this thing is borderline useless and between the terrible instruction manual and mobius being such a piece of crap, I really wanted to throw these lights in the trash initially. I think ecotech is trying to go the minimalist route like Apple with their packaging and instructions. IF mobius wasn't the terrible point of sale that it is, then I could understand the poor instruction manual. But the fact is mobius in its current form is terrible.
  • Light still has disco effect, especially OUTSIDE of the tank. Yes, G5s have much less disco than G4s. However, they do NOT have less disco than G4s w/ diffusers. I would say the disco effect on the G5s is more of an issue outside of the tank on the walls and floors of the room than inside the tank. The disco on the inside is minimal, but still not quite where it should be at imo. I plan on buying diffusers when they become available because the disco and rainbows appearing on the walls and floors outside of the tank is super annoying to me.

Overall, I still regret upgrading to G5s, at least this early on. It does not feel like a finished product and definitely does not feel like an Ecotech product. I've been using Ecotech products for almost 10 years now and this is the first time where I've encountered so many issues trying to set something up. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't matter how good hardware is if the software used to control the hardware is trash. Maybe Ecotech will get it together and fix a lot of this, but regardless, this two week impression is still pretty bad for me personally.

TLDR - Mobius is still trash. Don't buy G5s right now unless you want to beta test them for Ecotech.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your write up. That follows along with what my gut feeling was and im glad i picked up a third G4 with diffuser instead of "upgrading" to G5

Marty's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. This is one reason I stayed with the Gen 4's for my frag system. I was afraid of the same thing happening. Glad I stuck with my gut feeling early on.

Alex1Young

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nubbie,

Per our email conversation, we do appreciate the feedback you've provided us. Our engineering team always appreciates any information our users can provide us, thus we're able to add/improve features and functionality.

OP
OP
Nubbie

Nubbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nubbie,

Per our email conversation, we do appreciate the feedback you've provided us. Our engineering team always appreciates any information our users can provide us, thus we're able to add/improve features and functionality.

Well, unfortunately, I have never emailed or called you guys. At least not about this light. However, I am glad that you are reading these threads because it is not just me that is having these problems. IMO, these should be your priority if you want my 2 cents:

1. Enable wifi ASAP to help all the people who are having connecting/syncing issues with bluetooth. This is not a minority of people. If you go down the list of reviews, probably 2 out of 3 people are have these connection/sync issues.
  2. If you cannot or are not willing to enable wifi, at least fix it so bluetooth will give error warnings if it is not able to update a particular light. That way people will know that the schedule they program isn't correct (this is most important for people who rent PAR meters).
  3. Supplement your current poor instructions with digital instructions on your website. You could do similar to what neptune does. It's not a perfect solution, but at least it will be something. To be honest, I still don't know what the 'schedule 0-100%' setting means when you edit your lighting schedule. There have been conflicting posts about it throughout reef2reef so it seems like this is a widespread issue. I also have no idea how to use your 'acclimation mode' because there isn't any instructions on that.
  4. Fan loudness is an issue, but I think it pales in comparison to first fixing the connectivity/syncing issues.
  5. Finally, my own personal request is if you guys could put an option to not demo spectrum/intensities changes live. It can be something you just check in the settings menu. This way people who don't want to stress out corals while they are tweaking their settings have that option. Currently, if you're trying to change lets say your light intensity after the lights have already gone off, the lights will turn on when you touch the settings and stress the hell out of the corals/fish.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive mentioned it before and I’ll say it again. In the interview jake did with one of the ecotech guys he specifically said they designed their own fan from the ground up to make it quieter yet it is universally reported as ALOT louder.

Not bashing the product. It’s just an interesting response on what was supposed to be a specific “problem” that was addressed.

The diode choice and layout looks absolutely wonderful. First led fixture I actually got excited to read about in a very long time. I hope they get these issues ironed out with Mobius so I can pick up some Versa pumps.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dang, I wish I had researched the gen 5 before committing $2500+.
I started with gen 1's and went through the upgrades until I had gen 4's.
Loved all the improvements through the years, and figured this would be a big one.

Last edited by a moderator:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your write up. That follows along with what my gut feeling was and im glad i picked up a third G4 with diffuser instead of "upgrading" to G5

Likewise! I’ve been very happy with my gen4 lights and used the predictable rush to upgrade to get two more at a substantial discount.

OP
OP
Nubbie

Nubbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I wish I had researched the gen 5 before committing $2500+.
I started with gen 1's and went through the upgrades until I had gen 4's.
Loved all the improvements through the years, and figured this would be a big one.

I'm was in a similar boat and went ahead and upgraded early because I've had a great track record with Ecotech in the past. The good news for both of us is I believe a large majority of the problems are software related right now. This can be fixed with time as long as well all hold Ecotech accountable unlike all of these youtube reviewers and stores pushing sales. The lights themselves look pretty awesome. The spread is great, the moonlights are awesome, and the disco has been improved upon. The main problem right now in my opinion is the initial set up and changing settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm was in a similar boat and went ahead and upgraded early because I've had a great track record with Ecotech in the past. The good news for both of us is I believe a large majority of the problems are software related right now. This can be fixed with time as long as well all hold Ecotech accountable unlike all of these youtube reviewers and stores pushing sales. The lights themselves look pretty awesome. The spread is great, the moonlights are awesome, and the disco has been improved upon. The main problem right now in my opinion is the initial set up and changing settings.
I just spoke on the phone with 2 people I know that have gen 5's and they say they are happy with them. Both.
I don't have mine yet so I'm just reading threads like this.
But all the time I spent with previous gens and ESL, I had very little difficulty getting it to work. I saw tons of threads where people just trashed ESL. So maybe I'll just wait and see.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 G5 blues over my 120. Mobius is trash, the only way I can connect to all four lights is if I kill the outlets on apex, turn them back on, open Mobius, and then and ONLY then I can connect to all 4 lights and update them. After that update if I want to make another change it will fail to update the other random lights. If I’m on my iPhone there is no way to zoom into the graph so it’s micro small. I have no popping issues although it looks like the plastic that meets the lense is starting to warp from the heat.
I liked controlling the lights through apex so much better, I also run 4 MP40’s through apex without any issues.

I will have to deal with eco tech on the plastic warping, hopefully they have decent customer service.

I agree with all of your feedback 100%, I wish I would’ve just added T5’s leaving the G4’s.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this is kind of crazy for that kind of money these lights should be flawless sounds like that cheaper out on a lot of stuff and put a high price tag on it and rushed it out the door . I wanted to switch out my new prime 16 hds for these because there junk I’m glad I waited I might have been even more mad lol

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I have my complaints with the mobius app and the popping sound and their customer service, I don't get the fan noise complaints, I have my fans on all three XR30 Blues set to 100% constant and my tank is in my man cave bedroom that I spend a lot of time in and I really have to listen to even notice them. I also am coming from XR30 gen 4 pro's and think they are quieter.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a quick response from Ecotech CS to walk through Mobius, and was able to stretch out the sunrise/sunset. I'll say this much, compared to my former Hydra 52's and 26's, the G5 is blindingly bright. I set acclimation at 70% for 10 days. Ive never seen LED's so bright. I imagine in due time there will be more radical and complex lighting schedules that folks will follow; for now I'm on AB+. Having run T5's for 10+ yrs, all acropora, the Blue +, AB+, etc. I'd say the G5 "AB+" is visually whiter, but I like it. I'm sure soon there will be a "share your G5 Schedule" section.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
connectivity/app was certainly better with AI units

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have my complaints with the mobius app and the popping sound and their customer service, I don't get the fan noise complaints, I have my fans on all three XR30 Blues set to 100% constant and my tank is in my man cave bedroom that I spend a lot of time in and I really have to listen to even notice them. I also am coming from XR30 gen 4 pro's and think they are quieter.

90% sure it was shipping damages. First round of lights had absolutely no barrier between light and power brick. Kind of mind boggling. I think with a lot of competition coming they rushed it big time. Specifically the new ATI stratus and Phillip's v2. That new ati looks really nice and it is available in Europe. Incredibly sleek, can be mounted only a couple inches above the tank, passively cooled, and light looks incredibly crisp to the eye.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gen 1s until this summer and replaced them with 3 xr15s over a 48" tank. Mind you the gen 1s workd perfectly fine. Every LED everything. pretty amazing. I basically cant justify upgrading the lights that for the last several years have been pretty much industry standard. I am at 35% in intensity over a 16" tank. I think the gen 4s will work great for a really long time to come

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is probably referring to my emails and this post would explain why CS was a huge prick to me lol. You have every right to be annoyed and tell people about it OP. I was annoyed too but all of this will get fixed and 95% is software and shipping issues that will get improved and rectified. We will get an extended warranty if you think of it that way. Times like these should be a reminder how fortunate we are to be complaining about $915 lights over our beautiful reefs. My step dad is on day number 18 on a ventilator and is just now showing signs of improvement.

As far as regretting updating to new generation. I replaced g4s with diffusers and think the g5 without diffusers blows them out of the water in pretty much every category. I have less shadowing, less lights over my tank, and PE was immediately better running the same PAR verified with apogee 520. I dont have any light spill in the room but my tank is really wide front to back and it covers it completely, so I can see how that could be an issue. To fix this I would turn your lights 90 degrees. Make sure you calibrate your lights even out of the factory if you think it looks way different to g4 ab+. I had them right next to eachother and I could BARELY tell them apart.

Mobius sucks but is getting better. Atleast it's not as bad as the orphek app. I hope they add a zoom feature on the graph as that is my biggest gripe at the moment on a s10+. I really feel bad for people will smaller phones. Atleast they added fan speed adjustments in settings for different applications/priorities. I unplugged one of my lights bc it was too much light over my tank and adjusted my schedule. It gave me a warning message that it couldnt connect to one of the 3 lights. I also have had zero connection issues and I have a 6 antena router right next to my tank.

I posted about popping issues in another thread and fan noise 2 weeks back. Both most likely due to poor packaging but lens noise maybe due to torqued bolts or where housing meets lens. I spoke to them two days ago after finally getting RMA finalized. They informed me they are allowed to start manufacturing and shipping again, but they might just be stalling due to lens popping issue.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back