BRS

dubmaneh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am going to be re-starting my tank as over the past year I have battled bubble algae, aptasia and Montipora Eating Nudibranch's. (part of the makeover will include settling up a permanent space for a QT tank. NEVER not QT'ing new arrivals again!). I want to sterilize the entire system in place. Found this thread and planning on doing something similar:

Is there a specific strength of bleach solution to aim for? Min time needed to sterilize?

Or is there an other way to sterilize everything in place?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
as someone who logs lots of tank rebuilds I recommend an opposite plan. what you're doing invites dinos above.

we should fix your current reef and keep its biofilter and relative rock community intact. a restart, but not a new cycle restart.

additional concerns: the algae portion of concern will get back in via hardscape additions and on the slime coats of fish and things added, there's a way to deal with invasions separate from the coral pests agreed that careful observation and QT of incoming items will help best with those and flatworms.

if you do want to bleach it, then make a 1/10th solution of bleach water and soak several hours, let the rock dry out days in the heat.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
aiptasia and bubble algae are 100% controllable in any system where the rocks can be lifted out and worked a special way on the counter. no chemicals, no devices or injections, a special way that the continually uninvaded use.

so, your first new aquascape in the redone tank is a set of rock bommies, not a wall, where any portion can be lifted out as needed. this ends valonia and aiptasia forever, unless you choose one of the lesser control options the invaded use.

your immediate circle of sourcing selects for these challenges, and months after the new dry setup is cycled they'll be back, we plan for that in the moves above. if we keep your basal layers in tact on the rocks, you can still mature the system without dinos challenges and redoing by bleach increases that chance, along with the same invasions currently seen.

OP
D

dubmaneh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Valonia and aptasia I can deal with manually. And understood that this will invite the "uglies"as the tank has to mature again, but hoping it will deal with the MEN's and the vermitid snails.

BRS

Do you keep "Reef Safe with Caution" fish?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 295 61.7%
  • NO

Votes: 168 35.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.1%
Queen City Corals