Going To Purchase The Fluval EVO 13.5gal

thejebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Happy that I found a form that I can talk with people with a similar interest! I am new with saltwater, although I do I have family that has saltwater tanks. I am set to do my first tank with little help as possible from them! :)

So I am purchasing a Fluval EVO 13.5 and I was wondering what people recommend for it? I was thinking of purchasing a InTank Media basket for chamber 1. Any suggestions on how to fill it?(Filter Floss? Activated Charcoal?) Also in chamber 2 should I upgrade what Fluval includes? And if so I was thinking maybe just filling it with some sort of biological and not installing a media basket.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! A few of the things that will affect your filtration choices are what you are planning on keeping in the tank and how often that you anticipate doing water changes.

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I'm still new so I can't really advise much, but there are a ton of people here who know pretty much everything so I'm sure you'll get a deluge of good info! <3

giphy (40).gif

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! The media basket isn’t really needed.. just fill the chamber about half full of bio balls or similar, top that with carbon or chemipure and filter floss on top.

09E0CF22-A07D-418C-B101-7550E9966390.gif

OP
OP
thejebster

thejebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! The media basket isn’t really needed.. just fill the chamber about half full of bio balls or similar, top that with carbon or chemipure and filter floss on top.

09E0CF22-A07D-418C-B101-7550E9966390.gif

Awesome! Thank you for your reply! Do you recommend a certain brand for bio balls? Also, what should I put in chamber two? Continue with bio balls?

OP
OP
thejebster

thejebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Mechanical filtration, chaeto fuge, reactor, skimmer, there are a bunch of uses for the chamber:)
Awesome! Thank you for your reply :) Now I'm somewhat of a noob at all this! But for a tank, this small is a skimmer really needed? Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you for your reply :) Now I'm somewhat of a noob at all this! But for a tank, this small is a skimmer really needed? Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
With a small bioload no, weekly water changes would more than take care of your nutrients :) but with a heavier bioload it may be something to consider

OP
OP
thejebster

thejebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a small bioload no, weekly water changes would more than take care of your nutrients :) but with a heavier bioload it may be something to consider

I'm wanting to do some corals, a cleanup crew and a pair of clowns! Along with weekly water changes! Do you think I would need a skimmer for that?

OP
OP
thejebster

thejebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First chamber I use a InTank Media Basket.
Second chamber I have it filled with Marine Pure Biospheres and third chamber I upgraded the return pump to a Tunze that does double output! Here is a picture of one of my Fluval’s!

5E3A3CD0-BB70-41DB-8957-BAFCD266496A.jpeg 6F64E800-49E6-4CE2-BA15-94F3E7064F25.jpeg

Wow awesome tank!! :) Thank you for the info I'll make sure to take that into consideration when setting up mine!!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the entire black sponge chamber thing out, took a hammer to some live rock I got at the local fish store and packed it in chamber area. I then cut some filter floss to cover the top of the rocks.. occasionally I will run a bag of carbon but only for a few days to a week at most..

Another reefer upgraded his pump and made a post about it.. unfortunately I can’t remember the name but I was able to remove the return pump that comes with the unit and replace it with a slightly larger pump.. I had to shave down a little on one side to make it fit but it helped increase the flow! (A quick google search or even on Reef2reef and you could probably find the pump I used)

Kjgaeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the entire black sponge chamber thing out, took a hammer to some live rock I got at the local fish store and packed it in chamber area. I then cut some filter floss to cover the top of the rocks.. occasionally I will run a bag of carbon but only for a few days to a week at most..

Another reefer upgraded his pump and made a post about it.. unfortunately I can’t remember the name but I was able to remove the return pump that comes with the unit and replace it with a slightly larger pump.. I had to shave down a little on one side to make it fit but it helped increase the flow! (A quick google search or even on Reef2reef and you could probably find the pump I used)
The return pump I upgraded mine to is a Tunze!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back