Going to RAP, but leaving on Monday evening. How to keep coral alive and happy until time to fly?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I've flown with coral before, and that's no problem (though it still makes me anxious). However, in thinking about the fact that the show ends on Sunday, and I won't be flying out till Monday evening to head home. What's the best way to keep coral alive and healthy/happy until I'm packing up to fly out? I've thought about trying to have a makeshift setup in my hotel room, but I'm not sure how doable that will be without having to buy/bring a good bit of extra equipment. Thoughts? How have any of you done it in the past?

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how do you fly with coral? Do you put it in with your checked-in luggage?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One approach would be to bring a small heater and air pump with you and then phone a friend to bring some fresh saltwater and a 5 gallon bucket or other small fish-safe container that can be left behind. Small water changes and aeration should get you through the weekend for most types of corals. Now you just have to find a friend!!! :)

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could pack a small heater and bubbler and buy a disposeable bucket or Rubbermaid container at a local Walmart. Use it overnight, take the heater and bubbler with you and throw away the container.

rossroams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellas I’m going to be real with y’all. I found a steal on a candy cane and Duncan frag while in Orlando. So I bought a plastic fish bowl and a jug of saltwater and kept those corals on a back porch that received full morning sun for two hours over the course of seven days. Candy coral bleached on one head (better now), and the Duncan opened every day and loved it. Now SPS probably wouldn’t have fared well, but they should be good on a flight!!
619CB46A-90B3-4488-8FEF-A293DA9EED4A.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellas I’m going to be real with y’all. I found a steal on a candy cane and Duncan frag while in Orlando. So I bought a plastic fish bowl and a jug of saltwater and kept those corals on a back porch that received full morning sun for two hours over the course of seven days. Candy coral bleached on one head (better now), and the Duncan opened every day and loved it. Now SPS probably wouldn’t have fared well, but they should be good on a flight!!
619CB46A-90B3-4488-8FEF-A293DA9EED4A.jpeg
I’m glad they mostly survived, but this is just irresponsible and cruel. These are living animals, if you’re not prepared to provide appropriate housing for them, don’t buy them (or buy them on the day you’re leaving). Don’t risk an animal’s life just because you got a ‘steal’ on them. This certainly isn’t something to be proud of.

rossroams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad they mostly survived, but this is just irresponsible and cruel. These are living animals, if you’re not prepared to provide appropriate housing for them, don’t buy them (or buy them on the day you’re leaving). Don’t risk an animal’s life just because you got a ‘steal’ on them. This certainly isn’t something to be proud of.
They are brainless cnidarians, not puppies, and were fine throughout the trip. The duncan coral thrived through the duration, and the candy cane was in rough shape from the shop I picked it up in. Small water changes were performed on every day, and corals don’t respirate like more derived animals. Temps were in the low 80s and they were in shade. And these corals are still thriving today going into a 125 gallon reef whereas the others probably perished in the store. I’d say you’re just too soft.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back