Going to start a 90 gallon reef tank, and need some stocking ideas. Anyone have any ideas?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Do you have any preferences for fish or coral? Have you thought about your aquascape, filtration, or have any other plans? Some people build their life support system around their livestock and other choose their livestock to match their life support system. Whatever you choose, we're glad you're here!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys getting back into the hobby! Just wondering what some stocking ideas might be for a 90 gallon?
If you want personality, look for a Yellow Watchman Goby, a wrasse, some clowns.
Avoid Cardinals... Boring.
If you want schooling, chromis or anthias. (The later are harder to keep but stunning.)
If you will have a lid or screen top, firefish are awesome.... But they are jumpers, as are jawfish.
If you are looking at getting into Tangs, do your research. Some get HUGE, and they are aggressive.
You have a bit of homework but that is half the fun. When you develop a stock list, post it and we'll take a look see!
Welcome to the salty family!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

I'll pass along what I consider the best advice I've received in several years (albeit a bit controversial)...

You can have a great big tank full of beautiful corals, or you can have a great big tank full of beautiful fish, but if you want a great big tank full of both, you're in for a lot of work.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

OP
OP
S

SaltySam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Do you have any preferences for fish or coral? Have you thought about your aquascape, filtration, or have any other plans? Some people build their life support system around their livestock and other choose their livestock to match their life support system. Whatever you choose, we're glad you're here!
I have a canister filter and I am also planning on adding 100-150IBS of dry reef rock. My plan is to add it in stages as I can afford along with fish. This way my bio load will not be overloaded but I dont need to have the 150ibs at the start.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my must haves is either a yellow tang or a purple tang, I want a midas blenny, and I prefer LPS coral with some softies mixed in. I do have a quesiton. What is a recommended size for a quarantine tank for a tang? Does it matter?
Doesn't matter. The QT time is not long enough to adversely affect the fish.

I have a canister filter and I am also planning on adding 100-150IBS of dry reef rock. My plan is to add it in stages as I can afford along with fish. This way my bio load will not be overloaded but I dont need to have the 150ibs at the start.

The general rule of thumb is 1 pound of rock to every gallon of water. I use this as a guideline and many aquascapes require much more. I would suggest getting your scape in line first so you don't need to mess with it later.. It can be a chore after a few months when the corals start growing over them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
S

SaltySam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The general rule of thumb is 1 pound of rock to every gallon of water. I use this as a guideline and many aquascapes require much more. I would suggest getting your scape in line first so you don't need to mess with it later.. It can be a chore after a few months when the corals start growing over them.
cool thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
S

SaltySam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome thank you!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back