Going to treat some out of control Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole - looking for advice

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first stage of a small BCP infestation is denial. The 2nd is trying to scrub them away with a tooth brush. The 3rd is ****, i may need to
start this tank over again as these things are everywhere and killing zoa's and other corals. Well, i think the 4th stage is to take the plunge
with Fenbendazole.

I was able to get some pure 99% Fenbendazole in 250MG packets. I have a 200G tank. Looking at the Max Drago blog post, the most cited info on this
method of BCP eradication with Fenbendazole - he says " Recommend dosage is 2mg per gallon of water to be treated (half dose would be 1mg per gallon). A metric dosage would .5mg per Liter (half dose would be .25mg per Liter)."

My question is this, for those who have gone down this path, did you do a 1/2 dose of full dose? Did it work? I'm thinking of using 1 packet for my 200G tank - so a little over a 1/2 dose. From reading a ton of posts on this subject, some people say "hit it hard" otherwise you may need to do a 2nd treatment but i don't want to overdue this.

If you've used Fenbendazole, how did your other coral do? Did you experience a Phos spike after kill off? I am particularly worried about some high end torches (Holy Guacamole, etc) as well as my SPS due to Phos spike. Also have a slight hair algae problem at the moment - which phos spike certainly won't help (Phos level at the moment is 0.03)

Here's what i'm using:

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.45.55 AM.png

\Any advice from your experiences is welcome. Thanks!

amiguel6510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad infestation of blue cloves. It got to the point of either try Fenben and some stuff may die, or let the blue cloves kill everything anyways. I did full dosage. I lost the GSP on my back wall and some firework cloves. Killed alllllll bristle worms and snails. Zoas were a little irritated, mushrooms were fine. I didn't have any torches at the time though so I can't really say for that. It wiped BCP out, i didn't have to do a 2nd treatment. Phosphate went crazy when everything died.

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad infestation of blue cloves. It got to the point of either try Fenben and some stuff may die, or let the blue cloves kill everything anyways. I did full dosage. I lost the GSP on my back wall and some firework cloves. Killed alllllll bristle worms and snails. Zoas were a little irritated, mushrooms were fine. I didn't have any torches at the time though so I can't really say for that. It wiped BCP out, i didn't have to do a 2nd treatment. Phosphate went crazy when everything died.
Thanks. So far, so good. All BCP are gone. SPS is a little irritated due to elevated Phos. Zoa's, torches, brain corals etc - all are ok. Here are a couple of pix before and after

IMG_1016 (1).png

IMG_1065 (1).png

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings @Reeferbadness I know your pain. Top right corner magnifying glass, type in fenbenazol. The top 4 posts are my experience. One 4 gram pack of Panacur C nuked my infestation on Superbowl Sunday one year ago. It worked perfectly. Good luck. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back