Gold Coast aquarium?

Maxys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Haven't figured out a better trad name.
I am planning to start a reef tank in a month or so. Have many questions, obviously.
Most important perhaps - do I need to get chiller, being in Gold Coast or it is not necessery?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Haven't figured out a better trad name.
I am planning to start a reef tank in a month or so. Have many questions, obviously.
Most important perhaps - do I need to get chiller, being in Gold Coast or it is not necessery?
Welcome to the hobby!
I guess the answer to your question isn't really going to be based on where you live, but instead on:
1. What do you keep your house temperature at
2. Size of tank and types of equipment in it
More equipment, metal halide lights, etc. will all add heat to the tank (even if you live in Antartica!), so that may require a chiller. Keep your house at 80 degrees? Probably going to need a chiller.

OP
OP
M

Maxys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!
I guess the answer to your question isn't really going to be based on where you live, but instead on:
1. What do you keep your house temperature at
2. Size of tank and types of equipment in it
More equipment, metal halide lights, etc. will all add heat to the tank (even if you live in Antartica!), so that may require a chiller. Keep your house at 80 degrees? Probably going to need a chiller.
Hi mate, thank you for responding so quickly.
At this stage, my plan is to get Aqua One Reef 120 all in one(60cmx45cmx45cm). It has a sump, light, return pump and skimmer. On top of that, I'll get a heater and wavemaker(unsure at this stage which ones). That is pretty much the idea at this stage. So I'll have heating/lighting/filtration/nutrient removal sorted. The only thing left to find out if I need to cool it down or not? and if I do, with what?
As for stock - it will be a reef.
I am planning to get a Starry blenny->2xOcelaris clowns->Wrasse(have a few in my mind, but need to decide which one to get). Also, after the fish will settle I will add a few corals(zoa or two, something for clowns to hug to, and maybe something wavy). Did not think through my corals yet, as it will take months to get to that stage. As for my room temperature - it remains comfortable throughout the year. Sometimes I do turn on AC for an hour or two, but it's like 5-10 days a year when I do it.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate, thank you for responding so quickly.
At this stage, my plan is to get Aqua One Reef 120 all in one(60cmx45cmx45cm). It has a sump, light, return pump and skimmer. On top of that, I'll get a heater and wavemaker(unsure at this stage which ones). That is pretty much the idea at this stage. So I'll have heating/lighting/filtration/nutrient removal sorted. The only thing left to find out if I need to cool it down or not? and if I do, with what?
As for stock - it will be a reef.
I am planning to get a Starry blenny->2xOcelaris clowns->Wrasse(have a few in my mind, but need to decide which one to get). Also, after the fish will settle I will add a few corals(zoa or two, something for clowns to hug to, and maybe something wavy). Did not think through my corals yet, as it will take months to get to that stage. As for my room temperature - it remains comfortable throughout the year. Sometimes I do turn on AC for an hour or two, but it's like 5-10 days a year when I do it.
Sounds like you have a plan!
When you say the room temperature is "comfortable", can you give me an idea on the temperature?
The best plan would be to set everything up and let it run for a few days. You'll know pretty quick if you need a chiller.

OP
OP
M

Maxys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a plan!
When you say the room temperature is "comfortable", can you give me an idea on the temperature?
The best plan would be to set everything up and let it run for a few days. You'll know pretty quick if you need a chiller.
I guess I'll do like you suggested. Anyway, it will take some time, till I get the first fish, so I'll have an idea whether I need to cool down the water or not.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back