Gold nugget maroon

harlie_baby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gold nugget maroons colors are off. He is breathing a little heavy. Any ideas what could be wrong. Salinity 1.024. 10 gallon saltwater tank with hob filter (phosphate, nitrite and ammonia filter pads)

IMG_20220818_195803791_HDR.jpg received_355808609948932.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look like the basic water quality is an issue. More background info is needed, a short video helps as well. Here is a link that explains what is helpful for us to know:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If these tests are accurate, your mad, alk, ammonia, nitrate and phosphate extremely high
You will likely see unhappy coral and fish
The symptoms look like brooklynella but water results concern me BUT I’m not a fan of api spin test which is a. Digital version of their test kits
I highly suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API anything and see what readings they get for at least ammonia-nitrate- phosphate- salinity

OP
OP
harlie_baby

harlie_baby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look like the basic water quality is an issue. More background info is needed, a short video helps as well. Here is a link that explains what is helpful for us to know:

Jay

Jay

Attachments

• VID_20220818_205517584.mp4
    83 MB
  • VID_20220818_205429455.mp4
    29.3 MB
OP
OP
harlie_baby

harlie_baby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him 2 days ago from my lfs (which is part of a hatchery that I work at). He was in a 55 gallon til this morning when I put him in the 10 gallon with my female lightning maroon. If I remember right he was pure white and now he is kinda blueish (his white is faded in the middle of him). He ate yesterday but I haven't seen him eat today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him 2 days ago from my lfs (which is part of a hatchery that I work at). He was in a 55 gallon til this morning when I put him in the 10 gallon with my female lightning maroon. If I remember right he was pure white and now he is kinda blueish (his white is faded in the middle of him). He ate yesterday but I haven't seen him eat today.

It is pretty tattered - two rips in the fins and some general erosion. Did the other clown do that? Did I see a big dottyback swim by, that could be an issue also.

Was there a salinity rise between the 55 and the 10 gallon? Why did you move it? If everything went south after the move, you should consider moving it back.

Jay

OP
OP
harlie_baby

harlie_baby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

OP
OP
harlie_baby

harlie_baby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty tattered - two rips in the fins and some general erosion. Did the other clown do that? Did I see a big dottyback swim by, that could be an issue also.

Was there a salinity rise between the 55 and the 10 gallon? Why did you move it? If everything went south after the move, you should consider moving it back.

Jay
He was like that when I got him. No salinity change between the 2 tanks, I moved him because the ph dropped in the bigger tank and because I was hoping he would pair with the female. I'm going to post another video. Do you think I should move him back?

OP
OP
harlie_baby

harlie_baby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was like that when I got him. No salinity change between the 2 tanks, I moved him because the ph dropped in the bigger tank and because I was hoping he would pair with the female. I'm going to post another video. Do you think I should move him back?
Oh and yes there is a dottyback in there, surprisingly she isn't aggressive (she has gotten along well with the other dottyback, foxface, and gold lightning maroon)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not knowing the status of both tanks, I can't say if moving it back would be a good idea or not - but if the problems began after you moved it, that to me implies the new tank is causing part/all of the issues.

Jay

OP
OP
harlie_baby

harlie_baby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing the status of both tanks, I can't say if moving it back would be a good idea or not - but if the problems began after you moved it, that to me implies the new tank is causing part/all of the issues.

Jay
I think it was swim bladder disease. I found him swimming upside down this morning, he died about an hour ago. When I found him swimming upside down I put him in New saltwater (I got from my lfs) and put a bubbler in the bag but he died

Attachments

• VID_20220819_092421413.mp4
    41.1 MB

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost your fish. Fish go belly up when dying sometimes... doesn't always mean the swim bladder was an issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was swim bladder disease. I found him swimming upside down this morning, he died about an hour ago. When I found him swimming upside down I put him in New saltwater (I got from my lfs) and put a bubbler in the bag but he died

Sorry to hear that. It isn't swim bladder disease, as that shows specific symptoms prior to death that this fish didn't show (floating at the surface, etc.).

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back