Gold rim dying with no explanation

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Salt is very low. . . you want 34-35 ppt
Ammonia and nitrate at zero - What test kit(s) are you using ?

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to siphon out the cyano and do a WC with some new SW. That large of a mat is not a good thing to have in the QT. I would also reduce light to just ambient light for the remainder of the QT time. No ned for much light over a QT. Just enough to see the fish and no more.
The only problem is the fish room is in the basement and there is no lights on when nobody is down there other than the tank lights .

The Dude Abides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT tank is in the basement also, I just set up a cheap lamp on a timer for ambient lighting.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is the fish room is in the basement and there is no lights on when nobody is down there other than the tank lights .
I prefer to use a lower wattage bulb, like a 60w or equivalent, on my qt tanks. It helps to not allow algae or cyano to grow , but gives me enough light to see the fish. I just hang it up high from the tank.

But in reality any light will work, just stronger lights may require you do more cleaning on the tank to stop cyano or algae.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night before I went to bed I thought for sure I would wake up this morning to a dead gold rim. Last night he looked almost dead. Laying on his side and even upside down. This morning he is upright and even swimming a little. He got up enough energy to keep himself off the bottom and swim over to his safe place the cave that he hides in. I don't want to get my hopes up but I see some improvement. I have been putting heavy oxygen in the tank and fresh carbon. I am making some RO water today for a water change and will try to clean out as much cyano as I can. I changed the led shop light over the tank to a single 60w bulb. I plan on slowly increasing the Salinity to 33-34 ppt although I always heard it doesn't hurt to keep it a little low in QT. I am in the process of filling up my 310 and starting a cycle so hopefully in four to six weeks I can start moving fish over to my display. Although it is hard to see I included a pic of him in his cave swimming upright.

20220113_090003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I did see two or three marks on his forehead/nose. There could be a possibility he got into a fight with the orange shoulder. The gold rim has always been peaceful and timid. The orange shoulder is bit of a bully. I have moved the orange shoulder to a different tank for the time being.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am happy to report that today my gold rim has been swimming and coming out when I walk by the tank like he is hungry. On the first attempt to feed him this morning he was interested in food but didn't eat. This afternoon I fed again and I did see him eat so that is a great improvement. Although he isn't 100% back to his old self I feel good about his recovery. I'm not sure if it was low oxygen or a injury but he is looking much better. I honestly thought he was done for but I have seen a great improvement. I want to say thank you to everyone that help and gave me good advice.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at my wit's end with this gold rim. He was beginning to show improvement but is back to laying on his side and acting like he is struggling. Now he has a cloudy eye. Possibly a bacterial infection. I did a formalin bath just incase it is a prazipro resistant fluke. Then I moved him to a 20 long that has been set up for months. Now I'm dosing kanaplex. I have no clue as to what is wrong with him. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What causes this behavior?

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, was just reading through the messages and it seemed promising..

Eliminate what you can rule out..

Velvet - no
White Spot - no
Brook - no
Uroenema - no
Flukes?
internal worms?
swim bladder issue?

You've increased the air?
lowered the lights intensity to reduce cyno
removed the cyno?
continue to use carbon?
fish eating.

I would say getting the fish eating is very important as it might get too weak to even recover.
could it be a type of seizure?

hopefully someone with more fish health experience will chime in

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, was just reading through the messages and it seemed promising..

Eliminate what you can rule out..

Velvet - no
White Spot - no
Brook - no
Uroenema - no
Flukes?
internal worms?
swim bladder issue?

You've increased the air?
lowered the lights intensity to reduce cyno
removed the cyno?
continue to use carbon?
fish eating.

I would say getting the fish eating is very important as it might get too weak to even recover.
could it be a type of seizure?

hopefully someone with more fish health experience will chime in
I moved him to a 20 long where I can isolate him and better medicate. I have been dosing kanaplex. I believe he has a spinal infection or bacteria infection or spinal injury. He went from laying on his side and even upside-down to swimming normal again. He is starting to eat but is very shy now. I am working on getting him used to his new tank while being treated and getting him to eating like a pig again. He must be tough though because after all he has been through he is still alive.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big improvement! ignore the algae on the glass lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back