Gold rush tang not eating seaweed

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this tang for around a month now and have offered it dried seaweed often but never gets ate, he eats frozen meaty foods like mysis and brine shrimp but no seaweed? I tried julian sprung sea veggies and some other type I can’t remember (was purple strips)
My super market sells this, is it safe to try it?

6882D999-AE49-416C-9963-0B41CD0C1668.png 7BAC5E96-B63E-4524-BCFA-0379B98B1F7C.png

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he eat flakes and pellets? (Like Ocean Nutrition Formula-2 Flakes / Pellets, Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flakes, or even Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp etc.)

Do you have any other fish that eat nori? Maybe give your Tomini some time and he’ll be hungry as a wolf like your other fish once he’s settled. I think this nori of yours is okay, worth a try. Paul Talbot in one of his videos says it’s okay to feed supermarket nori to herbivores.

P.S. Here’s an idea. Have you noticed your Tomini getting along particularly well with another fish that is chowing down on nori? If he has a buddy already, next time when you try to feed nori, get it close to his fishie buddy that’s already eating it, but don’t feed him just yet. Drag the nori using a clip to the Tomini, maybe his buddy will chase after it. Get them close together, and once your Tomini sees his buddy loving the nori maybe he’ll think “hmmm I might give it a try” lol. Or maybe even do two clips of nori hahaha once you see your Tomini eating the nori.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried algae flakes with garlic from NTlab, he sometimes bites at it once then leaves it completely
I don’t have any other fish at the moment that eat nori really
I’ll get the stuff from the supermarket today and try that
Also a good idea with the buddy of only I had another fish that eats it

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tang wont touch nori although I havent tried in a year . I just use a mix of nls pellets including the algaemax ones for all my fish . Maybe I'll feed frozen once every 2 weeks . I wouldnt be too concerned

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try basting seaweed with garlic as an enticer. Make sure sprung stuff if wet and loosened up. Supermarket stuff acceptable. Additionally offer the following foods:

DSpirulina brine shrimp
Formula 2 frozen and flake
LRS Herbivore diet
small plankton

Add also selcon vitamin to food 2-3X per week

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of a gold rush tang. After Googling, I see it's a tomini.

As ca1ore said, they aren't that kind of algae eater. Some will, eventually...But in nature all tangs in the Ctenochaetus genus eat slime, film algae, detritus, other fishes' poo, etc.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you have Bristletooth Tangs that refuse to eat any prepared food? If that’s the case does it make you very worried?

Bob Fenner from WWM has quite a lot of praise for the Yellow Eye Kole and according to him it’s not a picky fish at all, but it seems that many of my fellow reefers here have a problem with their Bristletooth Tangs accepting prepared foods.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you have Bristletooth Tangs that refuse to eat any prepared food? If that’s the case does it make you very worried?

Bob Fenner from WWM has quite a lot of praise for the Yellow Eye Kole and according to him it’s not a picky fish at all, but it seems that many of my fellow reefers here have a problem with their Bristletooth Tangs accepting prepared foods.

In my personal tanks, the 3 (I think?) I've kept ate prepared foods just fine, as in frozen and flakes/pellets. But, they haven't gone after nori the same way that Zebrasoma and Acanthurus do. It's not a reason to panic if a kole, or tomini, etc doesn't eat nori...actually it's expected to me.

OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He constantly picks at the glass and rocks, I guess as long as he’s eating frozen meaty foods aswell with added vitamins it will be fine?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He constantly picks at the glass and rocks, I guess as long as he’s eating frozen meaty foods aswell with added vitamins it will be fine?

Probably.

There are frozen foods that have plant matter in them. Flakes or pellets are a good addition. I would recommend as much diversity as you can give.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back