Golden Semilarvatus Butterflyfish Reef safe?

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with these butterflyfish? I recently saw these and I’m in love

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one but it went after my soft coral quickly. Everything I’ve read seems consistent with my experience that they are not Reef safe. They are my favorite butterfly and bummed about not having one. Maybe when my corals are colonies and I won’t care about a single nipping fish I’ll take the risk again.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them in several mixed reefs. Tanne Hoff has them in his amazing reef tank. They are high on my list if I do a larger reef in the future, get a little big for my current tank. Seem to follow the rules for risky coral fish, and don't seem to be on the super destructive side of butterflyfish. Fleshy LPS like acans, trachy, lobo, favia, ect are probably high on the menu. Zoanthids seem hit or miss. Softies seems to depend on the type, seems some gorgonians are left alone. Seems like SPS and Euphyllia are relatively safe. Over all a fish I would absolutely try in a reef, with some preparation and understanding around their proclivities. There are lots of awesome butterflies on the safer side worth consideration as well. Roaops like the burgess and tinkers, prognathodes, and the true roa are all pretty good in reefs.

OP
OP
J

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them in several mixed reefs. Tanne Hoff has them in his amazing reef tank. They are high on my list if I do a larger reef in the future, get a little big for my current tank. Seem to follow the rules for risky coral fish, and don't seem to be on the super destructive side of butterflyfish. Fleshy LPS like acans, trachy, lobo, favia, ect are probably high on the menu. Zoanthids seem hit or miss. Softies seems to depend on the type, seems some gorgonians are left alone. Seems like SPS and Euphyllia are relatively safe. Over all a fish I would absolutely try in a reef, with some preparation and understanding around their proclivities. There are lots of awesome butterflies on the safer side worth consideration as well. Roaops like the burgess and tinkers, prognathodes, and the true roa are all pretty good in reefs.

Any idea of the Mitratus Butterflyfish would be good in a reef? Considering one or a tinkers

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the roaops are all pretty good in a reef. I would still be a little concerned about fleshy LPS like acans. I have never had issue with my burgess. Good eaters usually come in eating out of the bag. Best aiptasia control I have ever had. Mitratus has a reputation for being pretty aggressive among the Roaops.

96AE593F-0826-444F-B214-533453A976F5.jpeg

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the roaops are all pretty good in a reef. I would still be a little concerned about fleshy LPS like acans. I have never had issue with my burgess. Good eaters usually come in eating out of the bag. Best aiptasia control I have ever had. Mitratus has a reputation for being pretty aggressive among the Roaops.

96AE593F-0826-444F-B214-533453A976F5.jpeg
I'd actually say burgessi are the most aggressive of the bunch. Mine successfully killed or caused the removal of all the others (tinkeri, declevis, mitratus), even in a 240g 8' tank.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually say burgessi are the most aggressive of the bunch. Mine successfully killed or caused the removal of all the others (tinkeri, declevis, mitratus), even in a 240g 8' tank.

did it bother other butterflies or just theroaps?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, How about anemones? I have heard they sometimes eat those. I have only ever kept butterfly fish in fish only.
Semilarvatus or Roaops? I am not too sure on semilarvatus, I would suspect large ornamental nems like large bubble tips and magnifica, ect are fine. would be somewhat concerned about smaller rock flowers and baby bubble tips. but I am not certain. I think roaops are fine with large nems as well but I don't keep any. I do have to cover rock nems when adding them for the first day or two, as they do garner a lot of attention from the butterflies when first added to the tank. After the first day and once the nem has settled in they have been ignored by the butterflies I have.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back