GoldenHawkfish and Koi Tang as first fish in 150 lagoon?

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ready to finally add fish and these are two fish that are on my list. I can get a ridiculous deal on them right now, but would be the first fish in the tank. I’m worried I could be screwing myself if I want to add some smaller fish later. Any thoughts…

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are uncommon fish. You may not even be able to find them at all later on. If you're nervous about introduction order, id toss them in a temp qt tank and ...qt them. That will buy you time.

The golden hawk is particularly difficult to come by. I know they have been available over the past couple of months but before that it was a fish that one could see in aquarium books.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are uncommon fish. You may not even be able to find them at all later on. If you're nervous about introduction order, id toss them in a temp qt tank and ...qt them. That will buy you time.

The golden hawk is particularly difficult to come by. I know they have been available over the past couple of months but before that it was a fish that one could see in aquarium books.
My thoughts exactly Chrisv.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it! Just place newcomers in an acclimation box for several weeks. But with the hawkfish, you won’t be able to add any shrimps. And the koi will definitely bully new tangs, but placing a couple of mirrors and rearranging the aquascape a bit worked for me.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skipped the Koi, bought the Hawk. Couldn’t pass on the deal…
Hiding under rocks at the moment, been in a store 5G display for 3 months.. might be a few before he pops out. Looking forward to him coloring up….and snacked a little as well.

Attachments

• 183A148D-46E8-4D72-A3B9-7A94A4A5866E.jpeg
    183A148D-46E8-4D72-A3B9-7A94A4A5866E.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 49

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow hawkfish is a voracious eater. If you have any shrimp or plan to, be aware that it will make a quick meal of them; as well as any small fish.
Mine has devoured my 3 shrimp (wanted them gone) and is the first to the buffet at feeding time; he'll quickly clear 1/2 a cube of mysis on his own.
Beautiful fish with great personality! Just know that he will eat his portion and then some!
Congrats on such an awesome fish!

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been observing him over the last few months. Strong eater definitely. I’ve been feeding mysis and brine to the tank with a chunkier home made frozen that has all kinds of goodies in it including small krill soaked in selcon. He grabbed one of these tonight. Was chilling in the rocks for about 30 minutes until my Vlamingi kinda nudged him out respectfully. Still hanging on the lower rocks, but investigating slowly. Will see how the morning feeding goes, might have to add an extra cube to compensate…

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is weird, not coloring in the direction I thought..

Attachments

• C436D67B-8D8D-44FA-8341-46485A3954D9.jpeg
    C436D67B-8D8D-44FA-8341-46485A3954D9.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 23

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back