Goniopora: can you i.d. either of these

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two different goniopora that I need help identifying. More importantly, I need help with any known lighting requirements.

The greenish one might be a lobata (impinged tag/label said GOLO). But I can't identify the one on the far left. <HELP>

I think I have the correct lighting for the supposed GOLO, as it is opening nicely and extending polyps, but not too extensively. I even see some of the nematocyte tips coming out.

The one of the left (more pink/purple) started out opening up, but it not opening as much any more. I've tried lower lighting, higher lighting and mostly minimal and gentle current. I have been target feeding all three specimens BRS reef chili, Credible's Goniopower, and Reef Nutrition's Oysterfeast and R.O.E.. I get a feeding response from all three. I do dose Kent Marine's iron/manganese too.

I do know that the 3rd one on the far right is an ORA Red goniopora from Premium Aquatics.

Thank you for any leads, insights, ideas, help!

Gonio_A.jpg

Gonio_C.jpg

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora are exceedingly difficult to ID. In the scientific community we use a couple of factors to arrive at tentative IDs, those being, skeletal structure (especially corallites), location and correlation to geographical species distribution, growth patterns (larger colonies in the wild). Unfortunately most retailers cannot provide that kind of information However my general rule of thumb with goniopora is to treat it like it is one of the more difficult species to care for. Give them medium flow and lighting (adjust if needed) and make sure they are getting fed. If there is a feeding response (polyps retracting and reopening) that means it is healthy

OP
OP
sghera64

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora are exceedingly difficult to ID. In the scientific community we use a couple of factors to arrive at tentative IDs, those being, skeletal structure (especially corallites), location and correlation to geographical species distribution, growth patterns (larger colonies in the wild). Unfortunately most retailers cannot provide that kind of information However my general rule of thumb with goniopora is to treat it like it is one of the more difficult species to care for. Give them medium flow and lighting (adjust if needed) and make sure they are getting fed. If there is a feeding response (polyps retracting and reopening) that means it is healthy

Thank you for the knowledgeable reply. You shared some things regarding identification challenge that I did not know (e.g. geo-location is a factor). I am able to snap a photo of the polyp free skeleton, since the very bottom row or two is "naked" - - likely due to self shading. If that is helpful to someone, please let me know.

I like your rule of thumb and I guess that is my default (for any coral that I have limited experience). I'm am experiencing with different lighting. I started with medium for 2 weeks, then went to lower lighting for two weeks, now I'm moving to higher lighting. I also heard that for some species (e.g. stokesi - - my personal favorite), they are like puppies in that they like to cuddle and be close to each other. As you can see in my photos, I was trying that. The two on the right don't seem to mind each other, but they are wildly different species.

I also appreciated your comment regarding a feeding response. All three clearly exhibit that with the right foods. I know the different between feeding response and simply irritated. Reading that from you gave me a shot of confidence.

Finally, I'm well aware of the 6-12 month honeymoon phase with gonio. Any moderately experienced reefer can keep a gonio "alive" for that period. The proof of good husbandry and environment is breaking the 2-3 year mark (which the red ORA goni in the picture has).

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the knowledgeable reply. You shared some things regarding identification challenge that I did not know (e.g. geo-location is a factor). I am able to snap a photo of the polyp free skeleton, since the very bottom row or two is "naked" - - likely due to self shading. If that is helpful to someone, please let me know.

I like your rule of thumb and I guess that is my default (for any coral that I have limited experience). I'm am experiencing with different lighting. I started with medium for 2 weeks, then went to lower lighting for two weeks, now I'm moving to higher lighting. I also heard that for some species (e.g. stokesi - - my personal favorite), they are like puppies in that they like to cuddle and be close to each other. As you can see in my photos, I was trying that. The two on the right don't seem to mind each other, but they are wildly different species.

I also appreciated your comment regarding a feeding response. All three clearly exhibit that with the right foods. I know the different between feeding response and simply irritated. Reading that from you gave me a shot of confidence.

Finally, I'm well aware of the 6-12 month honeymoon phase with gonio. Any moderately experienced reefer can keep a gonio "alive" for that period. The proof of good husbandry and environment is breaking the 2-3 year mark (which the red ORA goni in the picture has).
I think the picture of the corallite would be helpful for an ID but I doubt my own personal ability to ID it, since I've never been into their taxonomy in the first place. And yeah hopefully yours will be fine, I'd get some myself but alas I think my clowns would kill it by trying to nest it (they've killed 3 hammers like that) so no fancy long polyped corals for me

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back