Goniopora flower pot coral help

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, trying to figure out why my goniopora won't open up. Just very intermittently. Tried it in a brighter higher flow area, didn't like it. Moved it down to low flow and light, opened for a few days now closed up again. It's under XR15 pro lights at 40% intensity in LPS mode. Flow from MP40s. Water parameters are good except phosphate is high at .26. Seems to go up and down with feeding Red Sea AB coral food. I have mild diatoms in a 4.5 month old tank. Other corals seem to be doing fine. Should I try it on the sand bed or back of the tank by itself? Picture below show goniopora in right corner of the rock. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the picture

Attachments

• 20210725_155054.jpg
    20210725_155054.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 256

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, trying to figure out why my goniopora won't open up. Just very intermittently. Tried it in a brighter higher flow area, didn't like it. Moved it down to low flow and light, opened for a few days now closed up again. It's under XR15 pro lights at 40% intensity in LPS mode. Flow from MP40s. Water parameters are good except phosphate is high at .26. Seems to go up and down with feeding Red Sea AB coral food. I have mild diatoms in a 4.5 month old tank. Other corals seem to be doing fine. Should I try it on the sand bed or back of the tank by itself? Picture below show goniopora in right corner of the rock. Thanks for the help.
What do you mean seems to go up and down with feeding red sea ab...?

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean seems to go up and down with feeding red sea ab...?

I was feeding phytoplankton daily and red sea coral food 3x per week but reduced dosage due to the amount of corals in the tank. Phosphate jumped to .56. I reduced the coral food to once per week and phytoplankton to several times per week. I added chemipure blue to media cup in sump. Phosphate dropped to 0 but now after feeding again yesterday it is back to .26. I only have 2 fish and feed sparingly twice per day now. I'm trying to find the best method to maintain a consistent Phosphate level below .1. Maybe phosguard in the sump.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to stop red sea ab+ as it reduced polyp extension.
I like that you are dosing phyto. There's a video of a guy with fantastic gonis that feeds phytogold.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had a funny turn which coincided with a warmer tank due to a rare event called “Hot” over here in the UK. I suppose your Temperatures are stable?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving corals can in itself cause what your seeing. It is just very obvious with lps when they are not 100% happy. The lights shouldn't be bothering it. Generally I find they are more often bothered by flow but they are also one of the corals that can take a long time to settle in and look good.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowish light, they dont need heaps, low to med flow. Enough to give the polyps a mild ripple effect, ive had them in higher flow. But they dont extent as mich.

Essentially once you find that ideal, or close to ideal location leave it alone. They tend to de-extend and extend there polyps throughout the day I find. I wouldnt stress too much, even when i fish swims past they tend to retract the polyps.

This is just my experience. I whent through that stage of are my lights too high. Is my flow okay. Believe me I did mere harm then good. Where you have it should be fine.

I have mine placed on the lowest point of my rocks with low flow. Theu take time to adjust I found.
20210706_180359.jpg
20210706_212815.jpg

Goodluck, hope it finally comes out, they are such a beautiful coral!

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to stop red sea ab+ as it reduced polyp extension.
I like that you are dosing phyto. There's a video of a guy with fantastic gonis that feeds phytogold.

What do you use to feed now? I tried reef chili but that was a big phosphate bomb to.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowish light, they dont need heaps, low to med flow. Enough to give the polyps a mild ripple effect, ive had them in higher flow. But they dont extent as mich.

Essentially once you find that ideal, or close to ideal location leave it alone. They tend to de-extend and extend there polyps throughout the day I find. I wouldnt stress too much, even when i fish swims past they tend to retract the polyps.

This is just my experience. I whent through that stage of are my lights too high. Is my flow okay. Believe me I did mere harm then good. Where you have it should be fine.

I have mine placed on the lowest point of my rocks with low flow. Theu take time to adjust I found.
20210706_180359.jpg
20210706_212815.jpg

Goodluck, hope it finally comes out, they are such a beautiful coral!

It started out ok in the spot with low light and flow, seemed happy now 7 days closed up.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started out ok in the spot with low light and flow, seemed happy now 7 days closed up.

Im not sure about Redsea AB stuff, i only drop some soaked pallets onto my corals every so often to feed. I dont feed gonis though?

Possible swing, looks like its still holding colour. Maybe give it some time what else is in the AB+? Im a skeptic when dosing anything in the reef.

What was a change you made before those 7 days? Have you done a water change? I find sometimes when my corals dont look as good its overdue a water change i can be a bit lazy on that front

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure about Redsea AB stuff, i only drop some soaked pallets onto my corals every so often to feed. I dont feed gonis though?

Possible swing, looks like its still holding colour. Maybe give it some time what else is in the AB+? Im a skeptic when dosing anything in the reef.

What was a change you made before those 7 days? Have you done a water change? I find sometimes when my corals dont look as good its overdue a water change i can be a bit lazy on that front

Water change weekly. Had it middle tank area moderate flow and light but it closed up there after a few weeks so I put it in low flow low light area. RED SEA AB is a simple liquid food for broadcast feeding. I'm only using half the recommended dose. It does raise phosphate though. I don't have enough fish in the tank to fertilizer the corals after a Brooklynella outbreak. I could try the goniopora on the sandbed?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back